Ryzen vs Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by LaMOi, Jun 3, 2021.

1. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry folks.

To be clear — both me and him do our main gaming on the PlayStation. So all the Triple-A games likely we will play on console. These budget laptops are only for little indie games, isometric RPG and RTS games like Total War.

so hence only really need a budget laptop with reasonable specs that I have noted above.

Another thing I was considering is it seems like his budget is around $1000. So if he is willing to spend that amount, I’m recommending that he ditch the GTX1660TI, and go for an RTX3060!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...pse-grey-eclipse-grey/6448933.p?skuId=6448933

Because as far as my understanding goes the RTX 3060 will outperform 1660 Ti, 2060 and in some instances 2070 (vanilla versions)…..??

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That laptop is hampered by a quad-core CPU and half the RAM being soldered to the motherboard. Plus, I believe the GPU in that model only goes up to 80W.

This Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop 144Hz AMD Ryzen 7-4800H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD RTX 2060 6GB Phantom Black - AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Octa-core - antonline.com would be a better buy. It's a full-power RTX 2060 so I think it runs at 115W, so it should perform better overall.

3. LaMOi

Reputations:

Ahhhh. Ok. That’s good advice — thank you for that.

But again, if he is willing to spend 1K, isn’t it better to look for a laptop with an RTX 3060 at least?
    As they are out there for that budget.

4. LaMOi

Reputations:
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. LaMOi

Reputations:

1) I’m playing on a 60hz HP Pavillion laptop. The screen is fine.

2) what do think of the Overclockers link? The £1299 Lenovo?

7. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have the money then go for it, if'll help extend the life of the laptop but the RTX 3060 is a very powerful GPU since its the full (130w) version.

Besides the bad screen with the RTX 3060 version the specs are very good. Also the screen uses only 250 nits which is pretty bad as well.

8. LaMOi

Reputations:
    Two questions

— how do you know if the CPU is gonna hold back the graphics card?
    Apart from perhaps obvious parings of a clearly cheaper / weaker CPU. ?

— secondly, how can you know if part of the RAM is soldered to the motherboard? Non removable? I mean I missed that! Where does it tell you that.

also this link —

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/leno...EMZz7V8W1FLrp4ZeT8YGCTbBJAELyrNnT4VAlrt1g9SC_

This pumps 130W to the RTX 3070.
    The screen has 300nits.

This laptop I would say is pretty great with no downsides?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  9. LaMOi

Reputations:
    Ps.

What i don’t understand is this guy tested Red Dead Redemption 2 with everything on ultra settings at I think 4k resolution and he got 20-30fps.

if your dropping £1300 on a laptop — I would expect it to coast any current game on ultra settings!

What’s the point then?

I mean — this is why I play on consoles predominately, as the PS5/Series X can run RDR2 or similar current titles with comparable settings at a locked 60fps.

10. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Going by this:
    https://gamerant.com/ps4-games-ps5-update/

Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't run at 4K, nor at 60FPS on a PS5, nor on a Series X due to the similar hardware..

At FHD that laptop will play anything at ultra settings above 60FPS no problem.

raz8020 likes this.