Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    You do have a point. I'm going off the assumption that the all core was only 100MHz slower than the max boost on a single core, as seen on the Ryzen 7 series (So 3.8GHz). If it was 3.5, even a 3.8GHz would overcome my stated estimate.

On the power consumption, I have a feeling you are right, but am assuming custom water cooling for the 18-core, including either a VRM cold plate or a full cover block. But you definitely have a point. We know AW is doing 2933 ram, but custom clocked in custom built should be able to achieve higher than that, like the 3200 you mentioned. Who knows above that at the moment.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    jaug1337, TBoneSan and ajc9988 like this.
  3. ajc9988

Reputations:
    But that was done with the 9000 fx series and is more a sign that to run as constructed with decent temps, an AIO is needed. It is to make people use other than air to cool it, which it is an 180W chip...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I'm calling bull. They had a similar thing with Ryzen 7. They showed 5GHz on the marketing material, hype happened, some were let down. So, no, I don't believe that.

I'm trying to prevent it from being over-hyped. 7nm, that is a different story. Here, most is 4.3 if the stepping change added clock ability.

triturbo and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We don't know anything about stepping 2, or the cooling, or the effect of the large cooling area of the new package.

Given Ryzen's lack of OCability, I'd be happily surprised to see 4.3ghz too...but our experience is with Stepping 1 so far, Stepping 2 is all new :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    jaug1337, triturbo and ajc9988 like this.
  6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    They are basically the same cores, just more, so it should not be a surprise. Everyone expecting more would whine later for too much hype. If the rumors for AIO are true - kudos to AMD once again for supplying proper cooling solution.

hmscott, jaug1337 and ajc9988 like this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    See:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-amd-die-fabric-slides,5125.html

Like I mentioned a few pages back and TANWare in particular took exception to; Intel wasn't simply bashing AMD with the 'glued together' slide. Out of context; you can make anyone look bad.

When the whole article is read and understood for what it is; Intel was merely sizing up it's competition with the information it had at that time. Comparing it to what it had to offer to it's customers. Of course there is an Intel twist to it - wouldn't expect otherwise - but it is not a simple slam or faux pas as was suggested by some here against AMD. There was (internal) research and testing behind it too.

Pretty accurately (and fairly) too, how Intel sized up it's competition at such an early stage (with AMD giving info in a piece meal fashion at the time) considering it didn't have actual Naples silicon to play with.

I think the article from Tomshardware allows the emphasis to be put back on actual performance differences between the companies (hopefully in tests with your actual workflows/workloads and not just BM 'scores' that may or may not be modified and/or twisted to fit marketing's or management's hopes).

Still waiting to see more real world usage info and comparisons come forth from the AMD/Epyc camp (like many others surely are too).

ole!!! likes this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    The article from Tom's is BS. The WAN show (LTT) already showed the surrounding slides for context and talked about it being 30+ slides, some being comparison, and many gross mischaracterizations. Intel pooed the bed on this one. We've all done it at some point. The question is why are you bringing it back up when we would otherwise just move on. It will not be rehabed. Many didn't cover the full context. Then you have most that did saying Intel messed up. Then you have Intel apologists.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I must say this. Mudslinging is a sign of weakness and if Intel were truly confident about its wares, they would let the products do the talking. Take it from me. I am heavily invested, both personally and professionally, into Intel's ecosystem and you could say I am a fan of theirs.

Although let's call it what it is, a knee jerk reaction to both Epyc and TR. AMD certainly got Intel's attention. Come this time in August, I will have my first AMD CPU based build in several years and that was due to one flaw...

jaug1337, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    ajc9988 and Rage Set,

I can't believe your responses and more so, I can't believe you read the article fully either.

No problem, the truth is out there somewhere - for each of us. At least both sides have representation now on this thread (and not just merely my 'biased' opinion). ;)