Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    kinda sucks they dont allow OC for the WX version with 8 channel. maybe it is dual socket.

none of that matters though, we need these CPU run at minimum 4.8ghz, minimum 16 cores.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I do not think the TR limit will be 24 cores but I would have likened to see 32 cores released from the get go. Also the wait is almost unbearable. This as seeing the supply issues at present it looks like getting a high end Ryzen 3000 chip will be like trying to get a gold hens tooth.

Edit; the one save grace may be as TDP is 105w for the 3900x the power of the 24 core and heat should be manageable on most x399 boards.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    As I pointed to Papusan, the yearly revenue forecast didn't change, just the quarter in which it is collected from third to fourth quarter. I believe that, said at Q2 earnings, is the delay being built in.

I think the mainstream 16-core delay is to work out the boost issue, especially since they saw more issues in speed with the 3900X than the 3600/3700/3800X lines. So that I think was unexpected, but a separate issue to supply.

hmscott and jaybee83 like this.
  4. TANWare

Reputations:
    If it is a hardware issue with boost speed any problem this month will still be a problem come November. So if this is the cause of delay it is a sever hit too Ryzen 3000. If it is a supply issue then it is just a temporary hit. My thoughts are with the 24 core TR is they are configurations that could not make the 32 core Epyc cut. Again this works with older x399 boards and their VRM's and cooling solutions etc. as if it replaces a x1950 it should just be a drop in and bios.

hmscott likes this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    It is an algorithm and heat issue.

What is effecting the boost is part bios implementation of the AGESA (seen in hardware unboxed testing), part the move from 80C to 75C on temp to kick down speed to prolong longevity, part the high voltage levels implemented, etc. Most of it was solved in about a month, from it being late August to now for AGESA ABBA.

So, there is a potential to solve it by November, as the problem is known. With two extra months for a release, a lot can change. Look how much support was done in the first months of the first Ryzen release.

Aside from that, I think AMD locked down fab time weeks to months ago.

Finally, I disagree that 32 core is solely on the workstation board as that may have more pcie and ram, but it has no overclocking, etc.

Think of the Workstation platform, as currently envisioned, as a server chip to be thrown into a motherboard made for a tower. It's all the same.

Now, AMD released a 7371 Epyc that was a speed optimized 16-core. I believe AMD is looking at something like that for the threadripper workstation chips. But I also believe there will be up to a 32-core overclocking CPU, as that is needed to combat the 28 core Intel Xeon overclocking chip.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On the subject of Turbo Boost, Intel has discontinued Turbo Boost 3.0 driver, Intel recommends to uninstall it. Windows 10 Redstone 5 and beyond has the functionality built in, so you don't need the driver - but it might still be hanging around - if so uninstall it. The vulnerability is caused by the Turbo Boost 3.0 driver installer:

Summary:
    "A potential security vulnerability in the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver may allow escalation of privilege. Intel is not releasing updates to mitigate this potential vulnerability and has issued a Product Discontinuation notice for the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver."

Recommendations:
    "Intel has issued a Product Discontinuation notice for the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver and recommends that users of the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver uninstall it or discontinue use at their earliest convenience. This does not affect Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 functionality when used with in operating systems with native support (Windows 10 RS5 and later)."

Source: Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Advisory
    INTEL-SA-00243

I posted a bunch of Intel security patches / announcements a while back here's the rest in case you missed it:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ts-and-incidents.816109/page-25#post-10950408

ajc9988 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD's 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper CPUs Rumored To End Support on X399 Chipset & TR4 Socket wccftech.com | Sept 27, 2019

AMD’s 3rd Generation Ryzen Threadripper processors are headed for launch in November. The new HEDT lineup would feature the brand new Zen 2 core architecture and tons of mega-tasking performance but along with all the added features, the processors might also require a new TR socket revision which if rumors hold true, might end their backward compatibility on the existing X399 products.

AMD’s 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper CPUs Rumored To End Support on X399 Chipset and TR4 Socket
    The details come from the author of the DRAM Calculator for AMD Ryzen processors, Yuri Bubily or more famously known as 1usmus. He mentions on his post over at Overclock.net that AMD in their latest plans have removed X399 compatibility for next-generation Ryzen Threadripper processors. This clearly points towards the upcoming AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper series which is going to make its debut with a 24 core and 48 thread chip in November. Following is the complete quote:

Hey. Unfortunately, there is not very good news, AMD has changed its mind about making X399 compatible with the new generation. For this reason, HEDT disappeared from all calendars and the release of these processors was forced to postpone.

Since the new processor has a new memory controller and he in a single copy (instead of two as before) had to seriously change the pins. Also, the new PCI Gen 4 standard and new power pins made a special contribution. TRX40 and TRX80 are a new generation and a new architecture. Nothing to do with the past generation. At the moment, all information is classified and I do not have access to it.

1usmus via Overclock.net

hmscott likes this.
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    Myself, I could easily see where the 48 and 64 core variants may need either the trx80 or wrx80 chipsets and thereby either a new socket or rework of the one at present for 8 channel memory. Now the post you refer too is back from 9/5/19, a bit old in the tooth and there are a lot of posts since.

Also they are now referring in that thread to the socket being the same but a different revision number, it is all rumors for now!

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Ryzen 9 3900X Prices Have Gone Up Roughly 16 Percent Amidst Shortage tomshardware.com | Sept 28, 2019

Computer hardware, like any other consumer product, conforms to the law of supply and demand. What's pretty intriguing is that the Ryzen 9 3900X has gone up in price in a little more than three month's time since the chip's release, and though we've already seen extreme price gouging on eBay and other third-party sellers, now retail outlets have also raised prices.

------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Even at -180 Degrees, Ryzen 3000 May Not Hit Boost Clock Speeds tomshardware.com | Sept 28, 2019

As we've been covering, AMD's Ryzen 3000 series CPUs often have issues hitting and sustaining the advertised boost clock speed. A recent motherboard firmware update improved things a little bit, but often boosts the wrong core. So I set out to see if adding more cooling would help get my store-bought Ryzen 7 3700X to hit or exceed its advertised top-speed of 4.4 GHz. What I found out is that, even when I used liquid nitrogen to freeze my processor down to -180 degrees Celsius, it was still stuck at 4.35 GHz, 50 MHz below its boost. However, as we'll see below, you can hit boost clocks by manual overclocking.

hmscott likes this.
  10. TANWare

Reputations:
    At least with Newegg the chips are all outside vendors, price gouging. At this point there is a definite issue with supply and no end in sight. AMD is quickly falling into the realm of Intel with vapor wear territory here. Can't hit the clocks and then can't produce the supply of chips.

Now with November approaching it may not be until December or January before we see stores with a supply and by then we will be over halfway to the next launch, pathetic.

hmscott and Papusan like this.