Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Editing too difficult on phone atm, but two points to give. The first is thread limiting. The initial issue is that simply giving access to over x threads to the renderer starts negative scaling. It's like starting cinebench and superpi locked to a single thread affinity at the same time. The render thread in cinebench shared by superpi will simply be slower, it isn't ignored. Hence, if threadcount is the issue, "no tweaking" is a problem.

I watched it when tired last night so I didn't call this out but he mentioned both preview disabling and windows updates. This is something which I feel should cause a revisit to the 7980XE under the same conditions. Also yes I'd like to know what conditions his 7980XE was running under as well.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using a bionic coconut

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Will this mean the shortages of mentioned chips will continue? Or will it affect their whole product stack of chips?

TSMC Trembles Under 7 nm Product Orders, Increases Delivery Lead Times Threefold - Could Hit AMD Product Availability techpowerup.com |Today, 17:01

TSMC is on the vanguard of chipset fabrication technology at this exact point in time - its 7 nm technology is the leading-edge of all large volume processes, and is being tapped by a number of companies for 7 nm silicon. One of its most relevant clients for our purposes, of course, is AMD - the company now enjoys a fabrication process lead over arch-rival Intel much due to its strategy of fabrication spin-off and becoming a fabless designer of chips. AMD's current product stack has made waves in the market by taking advantage of 7 nm's benefits, but it seems this may actually become a slight problem in the not so distant future.

TSMC has announced a threefold increase in its delivery lead times for 7 nm orders, from two months to nearly six months, which means that orders will now have to wait three times longer to be fulfilled than they once did. This means that current channel supplies and orders made after the decision from TSMC will take longer to materialize in actual silicon, which may lead to availability slumps should demand increase or maintain. AMD has its entire modern product stack built under the 7 nm process, so this could potentially affect both CPUs and GPUs from the company - and let's not forget AMD's Zen 3 and next-gen RDNA GPUs which are all being designed for the 7 nm+ process node. TSMC is expected to set aside further budget to expand capacity of its most advanced nodes, whilst accelerating investment on their N7+, N6, N5, and N3 nodes.

-------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    AMD's Ryzen 3000 Boost Fix Works, But Hits Wrong Cores tomshardware.com | September 17, 2019

hmscott likes this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So, let me put it this way: who bought the capacity through that period? It's a simple question. Everyone knows Apple uses the cutting edge node and takes up a significant capacity of that node, 25-50%, every fall. Since 7nm+ uses the same lines, once that contract kicked in, it was always going to squeeze capacity and extend lead times. The time period also coincides when a couple other key players were expected to use capacity in Q1, which is also done every year. But the real question is whether AMD increased their orders and contributed to the 6 months wait time. If AMD already had expanding production inked by now, which they would have an idea on necessary volume after seeing the 5700/XT popularity and the Ryzen 3000 and Rome chips, with AMD already keeping the yearly earnings forecast the same, but reduced Q3 forecasts which suggests increasing Q4 meaning their supply should be flush and flowing at that time, plus anything due for release at CES or within a month thereof.

So, although people are acting like doom and gloom on this story, they are forgetting AMD may be a significant cause of this situation, rather than impacted by it.

jaybee83, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    See, I put it together this way (quoted my old post) "AMD Ryzen 3700X and 3900X Shortages Still Persist Almost Two Months After Launch". I can't say this has an connection... But you see what I link together? There's a lot we don't know. But this does not look good <if> the "Shortages we have seen" is due to the report <from two months to nearly six months>I added into my post. If AMD has bought enough capacity... This does not exactly harmonize with the shortage of mentioned chips above. Could be AMD bin for server chips. Who know. But we both know that Apple was going to take a big slice of the cake. This was already mentioned by me many months ago.

See also from my older post from Aug 2018 AMD Is All In On 7nm CPUs For Strategic Advantage On Intel’s 10nm Stumble Hothardware.com

While it may sound like a gamble for AMD to put all of its eggs into a 7nm basket, it might be more out of necessity than choice. Intel contents that its 10nm process is more advanced than the competition, as it is packing more transistors and is doing a better job with scaling. In fact, Intel has even stated a desire to introduce a new metric to more accurately reflect where chip design technologies are really at...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is the left over effect of GF abandoning 7nm. With the extra fabs in place shortages and other supply issue would have been reduced or eliminated. Now it is a severe demand issue and will probably get worse before it gets better.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    charlie @ semi accurate

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, exactly.

[​IMG]
    AMD Delays Ryzen 9 3950X Launch, Announces Third-Gen Threadripper With 24 Cores

AMD previously told us that it's long-awaited Ryzen 9 3950X, a 16-core 32-thread behemoth destined for the mainstream desktop, would arrive in September 2019, but today the company announced it is delaying the release until November while it focuses on meeting the demand for existing chips.

AMD's beastly 12-core 24-thread Ryzen 9 3900X is still a rarity at retail two and a half months after its launch, leading to price gouging from third-party retailers.

Yeah, No smoke without fire.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wow, very disappointing to say the least. Two month delay on the 3950x and no telling when the 32 core TR will be around, and only an intent for the 24 core. While at the time AMD was hyping up putting TMC as exclusive 7nm supply I knew that would come back to bite them. They should have been at the ready when GF bailed out to find someone able to quickly put up a fab and get out silicon, if needed.

Papusan likes this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    mmmmm i think there is more to that 24 core TR info than meets the eye. i am assuming they will make a more clear division between the regular TR and the WX TR skus this time around, thus the regular TRs will be bumped from 16 to 24 cores and the WX class from 32 to 48 cores. would make more sense than cutting the whole TR lineup at 24 cores, which is less than the 32 of the previous gen.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

ajc9988 likes this.