Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Nice twisted logic, but if it can hit it, it will be reported. :rolleyes:

Not hitting it yet. And no, this isn't just marketing (stop spinning...).

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just because we are enthusiasts does not mean we all care about overclocking the CPU's. Fact is overclocking is the minority even amongst computing enthusiasts. now we do care about the CPU's hitting advertised clocks though.

tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Every time I think about going Intel for my next desktop upgrade, they shoot themselves in the foot.

hmscott likes this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    no one really fully knows what sort of workload they use though. if only MS can somehow make a new OS that uses multi threading while still be compatible to old legacy software then we'd all be happy.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3510-hw-news-threadripper-8-channel-4-channel-leaks

8 channels on TR3000, if only it can use optane dimm..god damn.

TANWare and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Optane DIMMs are CRAP! Literally, they are overpriced, under perform, and are ONLY useful in a handful of edge cases. But you don't even understand the need for memory bandwidth at times or bandwidth per core on high core count chips, so I wouldn't expect you to have taken the time to look at the handful of cases for optane DIMMs, or how support for up to 4TB of memory and dropping memory pricing pretty much cratered the utility of it.

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    TR is overpriced for most people from a consumer standpoint but people still buy them. so for those, including us who is willing to pay for the premium, optane dimm is really just that "premium product" that we pay for.

besides getting optane dimm isnt without it's benefit. it'll be faster than any optane SSD via PCIE and dimm can be configured to use as storage and not RAM so it'll actually store data like a proper storage device.

with 8 channels, i can go 6 channel ram and 2 optane dimms, or 4/4 config.

edit: also the workstation with 96-128 pcie lane but no OC support, looks like coreteks' guess was right, dual socket possibly happening.

jaybee83 likes this.
  7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would hold off the thoughts till we actually see the chipsets etc.. And of course a lot of testing too. Way too early to speculate on what will do what yet.

8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Including this review of the 3700X and 3900X for streaming. Only reason it is here instead of the AMD Ryzen thread is due to his mentioning of considering replacing his 7980XE streaming rig with the 3900X, which has 6 fewer cores. That suggests if a person is considering the 3950X 16-core for streaming, it would definitely outperform the 7980XE.

@D2 Ultima - you might be interested in this video.

jaybee83, TANWare and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If only Acer / Asus would make their AMD gaming laptops soon after new AMD CPU / GPU releases, and MSI / Gigabyte / HP / Lenovo / etc would jump in with new high end AMD gaming laptops.

Maybe Intel will surprise us all and release a completely new architecture on 7nm that solves all of the security problems, and competes with AMD on price / performance?

Wouldn't that be nice. :)

ole!!! likes this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Haha. Did you see Intel's new side channel attack NetCat? Lol

Vasudev and hmscott like this.