Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    maybe my point is to ask YOU and what YOU have use for 8 channels. if you dont wanna say then just dont say it rofl. you misread my question and somehow spin it to intel vs AMD just because i simply stated intel has avx512 to take advantage of the memory bandwidth while AMD only has up to avx2.

holy moly sometimes talking with you gives me headache i swear rofl. if you have software you can make use of full 8 channels good for you. i could think of a few but its not gonna matter much 4 vs 8.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Although English, in its nature, is an imprecise language, you have TWO sentences (which should be three, but typing informally). In the first of the what should be three, you state, clearly, there is no AVX512. The middle sentence asks how I can use the bandwidth, pointing out it needs very specific workloads (which is more what you should have emphasized, and which I did not pay as much attention). The third sentence then talks, once again, about AVX512.

As such, I literally took your focus to be that workloads, or similar, hence why I harped on that. Two out of three statements on that topic would seem you point is more about that than me specifically.

And you make a good point, which is similar to my point on one of the links, that software is often optimized around platform memory bandwidth, generally, insofar as to make sure the memory bandwidth is not a choke-point for the CPU tasks.

Further, AVX2 CAN saturate the memory as well. Just because one has a wider set does not mean the impact on the cores and cache cannot saturate the memory bandwidth, showing you once again, in passing, are making statements that make no sense, which is WHY I go on long diatribes. Make stupid statements, get stupid prizes (at least in regards to interactions with me).

4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats your opinion.

avx2 can saturate memory on a lot of enterprise software for quad channel, but do you use those? doesnt change what i say though, way overkill for YOU.

5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Once again, you made a STUPID STATEMENT regarding whether instruction sets, then deflect when called out. At least you conceded it.

Now, let me put this in perspective for you. To achieve the same memory bandwidth of the 8-core chips per core, you would need 8-channel memory on a 32-core. So workloads, even normally seen on mainstream, that can use over 2GBps bandwidth (edit: per core), would benefit by having 8-channel memory on a 32-core chip. Now, it is overkill for a 16-core (for me). But just wanted to provide context.

Edit: did you even look at the articles I attached?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    its you who made STUPID ASSUMPTION!!

theres like so many thing you can assume but you only chooses to see it as intel vs amd.

7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    No, I also choose to see it that you don't have a clue as to which workloads can saturate the memory, which is why I changed the frame of reference to looking at the mem bandwidth per core for the 8-core mainstream, the 16-core HEDT, and how the 32-core would be halved of what either of those have on mem bandwidth per core. It is called perspective.

Are you saying no consumer workloads get close to saturating the memory bandwidth of the mainstream chips?

I tried to move it AWAY from what you call Intel vs AMD and make it about the bandwidth, which YOU DID NOT RECOGNIZE IN MY STATEMENTS. So move on.

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i choose to see that you have no real need for 8 channel yet you talk as if you do and refuse to admit it. YOU DID NOT RECOGNIZE IN MY STATEMENTS, moving on.

@tilleroftheearth the new i9 comet lake 10c will be the first, hopefully still monolithic design. makes u wonder what sort of latency penalty that will come with it. back then HEDT broadwell E 10c was an 8 core on ring bus then connect to 2 cores with a semi ring? the middle chart without the 2nd set of memory controller/system agent.

[​IMG]

new hedt are now mesh but this is the old hedt design. would love to see how this will impact 10-12c cpu from intel in future if they still decide to keep it monolithic. another thing is 10nm yields are so low we just might see they backport willow cove to 14nm, never know. i think at least they might do that for server, needs to stay competitive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD Ryzen 3700X and 3900X Shortages Still Persist Almost Two Months After Launch Tomshardware.com | Aug 26, 2019

The shortage is so bad that third parties are selling the 3700X and 3900X at inflated prices. The 3700X is being sold for almost as much as a Ryzen 7 3800X at retailers like Amazon and eBay while the 3900X has been going for as much as $750 (the MSRP of next month's Ryzen 9 3950X which has 16 cores) on Amazon, with most sellers on Amazon and eBay pricing it around $600. Today, you can find 3700Xs at most retailers, but on Amazon they are only up for preorder and will only arrive at the end of August at the earliest.

Other Ryzen SKUs, however, seem to have escaped these supply issues, most notably the 3800X, which is basically the same as the 3700X but binned a little better and $70 more. Perhaps AMD has intentionally constrained the supply of the 3700X to encourage impatient people to just buy the 3800X:D For the 3900x supply issues I think AMD rather prefer bin chips as Hell for the coming more expencive 3950x who will go for higher prices:)

Sadly, there doesn't really seem to be an obvious solution for AMD or buyers other than just waiting or buying what's available right now (whether it's at MSRP or not). It's not easy for AMD to just increase production on these CPUs, which have a unique supply chain and require a 12nm IO chiplet from GlobalFoundries and one or two 7nm core chiplets from TSMC. AMD also uses the 7nm core chiplets for its EPYC Rome data center processors that offer up to 64 cores, which could be a factor as the company ramps up its data center lineup.

There's also the matter of the 3900X and 3950X requiring two compute chiplets, unlike the 3800X and below which require just one. Unfortunately, it remains unclear when we will see widespread availability of the Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 9 3900X.

tilleroftheearth and TANWare like this.
  10. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have noticed the short fall myself. This is also what happens when you have a high demand item as well. Hopefully supplies increase but this affliction seems to affect both AMD and Intel with the CPU's at times.

hmscott, tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.