Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    we shouldnt have to worry about 25-75mhz.. the only time we should really worry about it is if temperature or voltage is too high for the additional 100mhz. can't be satisfied until we see something close to 5ghz range. 4.8 is a good start, for all cores frequency.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, but it's nice to see it fall on the plus side than fail to make the specification posted - even if it is such a small unnoticeable amount.

If we didn't pay attention to such details then the vendors won't either, and slowly slip further from making the specs as advertised.

It's good to check on them to "keep them honest". :)

3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm more interested in the rumored two different chipsets for TR, one of which may have 8 memory channels. If true, I may have to wait for next year to upgrade and grab that (and a new MB)!

That would be the upgrade that I want!

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If I paid for 5.0GHz I wouldn’t be happy if I can’t get it. Don’t forgot 75MHz is nearly 1 bin bruh. Or near 40 point in CBR-15 with a 8 cores chips:bigwink:

ole!!! likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    I thought the 7700k / 8700k / 9900k wouldn't run all core 5ghz in your laptop? Didn't you "pay for 5ghz" then too? Realistically your laptop won't run 5ghz on all cores under a constant 100% load without becoming unlivable - it's cooling fans are going to be way too loud.

Every motherboard / laptop is different, that's why we watch the reviews to find out what works well together and gets the best performance for cost - the best value for money or the highest performance - based on your personal priority.

All of those motherboards are close enough, with 3 of them as outliers that still need tuning to catch up with the group. It's good to know ahead of time what's what, and if I had one of those motherboards I'd do the testing myself and send in a complaint to their support to get it fixed.

If I liked the motherboard otherwise, I don't think I'd return it only based on that shortfall. There'd need to be a number of problems to make me disassemble that whole PC - return that motherboard - get another motherboard and put it all back together.

Being forewarned though - knowing before the build - I'd pick another one of the top performing boards - but tempered by cost and other features. I don't need to pay out $100's more for a slightly measurable and likely unnoticeable improvement.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Which one do you have running now? Do you run it all the time at 100% all core 5.0 ghz? "Reaching 5.0ghz" isn't running it 24/7 as your daily driver tune.

I could have sworn you often posted sub 5.0ghz results... sorry if I am mis-remembering. Nice to see your 9900k reached 5.0ghz yesterday.

ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    5.0GHz all cores 24/7 is too much for the old lady:) I need the TM board for that. But stock with an undervolt is ok.

Ashtrix, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats a problem with the laptop though too small of a heatsink. if our chip pair up with gt76 titan or alienware heatsink, it has the capacity to run 5.1ghz 24/7.

hmscott likes this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    With my 6700K, I was at 4.8GHz all day, but that was a desktop with a 360mm AIO. Benching was 5.0-5.1.

Meanwhile, seems the Ryzen, even with that lower frequency, is better. Now, if going with gaming, the 7700K is similar in scores to a 3600. I think 3DMark still favors Intel a good bit.

Even with that, I'm more about the multi, not the single thread scores. That favors AMD at any given price point.

But considering now we see that different bios implementations are effecting the boost algo, that should be, hopefully, resolved by TR, which will have higher boost clocks. So things really can get interesting. Also, there is a chance of the 3950X beating the 7960X and 9960X, which would mean an inflection point on per core values, something you care about. We will find out in a couple weeks on that. For sure the TR will though, so.

Edit: caveat on meaning air and water. Chilled and LN2 may differ on which is better.

Edit 2: The single core boost on Cascade may change that calculation, don't know though. Very little out on it.

Also, Intel still excels at Prime calculations, depending on the program, it seems.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    hmscott likes this.