Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Fair enough. Wanted to make sure it was just sharing info and not trying to make claims on Intel's performance there.

Intel's 10nm kinda sucks, especially on frequency (the architecture is great! Imagine that uarch on TSMC 7nm! May not be the frequencies you want, but that would likely DECIMATE AMD's Zen 2 chips if the frequency jumped up to anything near AMD's current clocks).

Arrrrbol, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You or/and others should know where I stand. High IPC is well and good, but High clock speed is needed to get out most possible performance. Higher the better. One of this two ain't good enough.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Just like you know my position. I don't care how it gets there, just that it gets there. Enough IPC and frequency doesn't matter. Just raw performance. As to what I buy, there is also a value component to that performance.

But I hear ya.

rlk likes this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i think the value component applies to all of us. some just value performance more and willing to pay a bit more. right now its hard to justify buying intel really, only very handful of scenario people would go for intel.

tiger lake ~20-21% IPC over CFL
    https://wccftech.com/intel-tiger-lake-u-cpus-gen-12-xe-gpus-spotted-tested/

remember we waited 8 generation for 20-25% IPC improvement from sandy to skylake, now in 2 yrs we get 20% cause of AMD. can't wait to see zen 3 or 4 versus icelake/tigerlake.

Arrrrbol and jaybee83 like this.
  5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I thought everyone agreed User Benchmark is worthless.

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    oh that was just clock for clock, i didnt consider core count :) since were talking single thread here, anyways....

well as long as its same number of cores between two samples i guess one might still use them ;)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Agreement isn't required for it to be worthless. :vbbiggrin: That stands on its own regardless of what some might think. But, for the record, I do agree. :vbwink:

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Worthless test or not... Higher scores still beat the lower one:) If it's correct or not (the User Benchmark)... Depends probably what brand you prefer. See... Lower can be better:D

Arrrrbol, ole!!! and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Ryzen 7 3800X Show Different Boost Clocks with different motherboards Guru3d.com | 08/22/2019
    [​IMG]
    There has been a theory for a while not that motherboard manufacturers tweak their products a bit to squeeze out the best performance of AMD processors. Basically, people have been seeing small performance differences and some have complained that the advertised boost frequency is not even reached.

[​IMG]
    Cinebench R20 was run three times in a single-core test and that will read out the maximum boost clock monitored with HWiNFO64. The AMD for the Ryzen 7 3800X reached a boost clock of tan advertised 4,500 MHz on a number of six motherboards. Then three mainboards hit 4,475 MHz and two 4,465 MHz. A total of three mainboards could not reach a higher boost clock than 4.375 MHz

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For such newly released CPU's and motherboards, that's pretty good that only 3 out of 15 failed to boost to the full capabilities of a particular sample CPU. Hopefully firmware updates will bring those 3 up to spec soon too.

4.5ghz boost for the 3800x, 4.6ghz boost for the 3900x, 4.7ghz boost for the 3950x, I wonder what the ThreadRipper's will boost to?

Maybe sooner than later next year we will see Ryzen boosting to 5ghz? At this point the IPC advantages of Ryzen over Intel allow the Ryzen CPU's to outperform Intel in single core even with Ryzen not boosting as high as Intel. When Ryzen boosts the same or higher than Intel it's all over for Intel --- for a 3rd time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    ajc9988 likes this.