Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats the thing i didnt read STH's article, at least not yet. but its not hard to figure out that intel only had few areas left they could still be competitive and avx512 was the biggest of them all, which is now consider nulled. besides AMD went the smarter route asking highly parallel workload to be done on GPU which is a better replacement than having avx512 done on CPU.

i dont see how that cost thing is a bigger deal than avx512. these companies and actually majority of companies have spent and use to spent that much with intel, imho i dont think they care. they do understand going AMD will bring cost saving in power, performance per watt and performance on all front is eypc wins. but switching to something new may always have issue because so use to the old, and i dont blame enterprises not switching, at least for now.

example would be me switching to AMD would mean i no longer able to use throttlestop and i'd need to spend more time learning AMD OC or even possibly installing new windows with most of my software. alot goes into that and needs planning, not a matter of saving intel or not, dont honestly give a damn about that.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Intel's arguments include that they have the single threaded performance, so when it comes to power core licensing of software, like running windows server in certain licenses, you are better off with Intel than taking the license cost hit with AMD, even if your workload is faster on AMD with more cores. It is part of the TCO analysis.

Now, the fact you can save so much with AMD that you still can save significant amounts of money while paying the higher fees under per core licences changes the game. It isn't just one workload type being conquered, it is every time per core licensing pops up. AVX512 is a very small part of the actual server workload ecosystem. Per core licensing is much larger segment of data center and enterprise. Because of that, it means procurement officers must now redo their analyses on AMD servers entirely. That is why that is a bigger deal!

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    st performance shouldnt matter in enterprise side of thing. i guess theres probably some VERY limited workload would benefit from ST performance but be honest that should only apply to monolithic design on desktop. the mesh system up the latency drastically compare to that of desktop so their advantage on the desktop side over zen2 is basically all gone. and yeah most enterprise getting so many cpus theres no real need for ST performance at that point, AMD also have PBO to take care of that concern.

3950x laptop 5ghz thanks amd.

4. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, you should have read it. I think that then you'd understand why presenting a single benchmark graph wouldn't do justice to EPYC.

That NAMD chart really isn't very interesting. If you're running a highly specialized AVX512 workload, then there's no compelling reason to switch. Even if you're not, the CPU performance differential really isn't all that compelling, maybe 50% tops. That sounds like a lot, but it takes a big capital expense (and organizational things, like training) to take advantage of it.

Thing is, there's a lot more to it, like the I/O improvements. Look at the charts for 100GbE performance. EPYC (Rome) simply blows Xeon clear out of the water there. And server workloads tend to be a lot more I/O-intensive than desktop workloads.

And the security improvements are nothing to sneer at. 500+ VMs can have their memory independently encrypted such that even if the hypervisor (much less one of the VMs is, or is actively hostile) is, it can't get at it.

People who run servers for a living -- and that's the target audience of STH -- simply don't care about throttlestop or overclocking. But as you note, switching vendors might mean a significant change for you. When you're talking thousands of servers, that's greatly amplified. That's why EPYC needs to be more than just better on a few top-line benchmarks. And that's what the STH piece went into, in great depth, in language that server farm administrators will understand.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  5. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    too much work for reading into something i'll probably never come across of using it for what i need. if it's something interesting and something i'll be using down the road then yeah but the article will be there. so when the times come i'll go back and dig it up no problem.

7. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, OK -- but then don't complain about it being posted. It's directly on point to the EPYC vs. Xeon comparison.

hmscott, TANWare and ajc9988 like this.
  8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    all i see is you and ajc complaining LOL.

9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    They made a post and you were the complainant. Essentially too much info, I have to agree with too much is better than not enough.

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Self explanatory;

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.