Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hopefully it's just bad customer support information - for MSI's sake, here's the source post of the articles online:

MSI won't support Ryzen 3000 on *any* B350/X370 boards i.redd.it
    Submitted 10 hours ago by master 3553 R7 1700X | RX Vega 64
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bdfsd7/msi_wont_support_ryzen_3000_on_any_b350x370_boards/

thomasjjc R3 2200G / R5 2400G 192 points 9 hours ago
    "I once contacted MSI about the possibility to overclock the 2400G IGPU on the MSI B350I Pro AC. The option wasn't available on that board at the time. They told me, that that functionality was unavailable and not planned for that mainboard either.

Yet they still provided the option with a later bios version.

So this response for now just means that they have a very bad customer support."

notsheldogg 91 points 8 hours ago
    "In most major tech companies, the customer support/tech support teams don't get information until the official release date."

master3553 R7 1700X | RX Vega 64[S] 51 points 8 hours ago
    ""We can't disclose that information at this point in time" would be an appropriate response then...I'm not saying that this isn't the case, though providing wrong information is worse than providing no information"

bakerie 29 points 6 hours ago
    "This thread is so eerily similar to this one that turned out to be false:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b4812j/asus_prime_b350plus_wont_receive_ryzen_3000/

master3553 R7 1700X | RX Vega 64[S] 12 points 6 hours ago
    "I'd hope that this turns out similarly"

The MSI 400-series has already received the BIOS update for Zen 2 in March, and no MSI 300-series update has shown up, but it's not unusual for older boards to lag in updates. Hopefully this is all just a misunderstanding.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:34 PM
    ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Intel Core i5 9400F vs. AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Six-Core Sub-$200 Gaming Battle!
    Hardware Unboxed
    Published on Apr 15, 2019

TANWare and ajc9988 like this.
  3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I am forced to purchase another board I will look at it very carefully in the future and a guaranty of not getting the manufacturer to start this trend is a must!

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD 50th Anniversary Ryzen 7 2700X Leaked (Updated)Tomshardwae.com | April 15, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    [​IMG]

AMD's 50th Anniversary is fast approaching on May 1, and several new postings at online retailers have revealed that AMD is on the cusp of releasing a new 50th Anniversary Ryzen 7 2700X to celebrate. (Hat tip to @Dayman58 for the spot).

The chip is listed for preorder at $340.95, which is well above the typical ~$295 street price, but that's to be expected with a collector's item. You remember @hmscott ? No need to charge more for a Anniversary item vs. the standard. And even more wasted money if it's comes without increased clock speed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-–-6c-12t-5-1-ghz.815636/page-8#post-10748183

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:23 AM
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    MSRP for the 2700x is $329, so a special edition 2700x that includes a fancier MAX cooler for $340 seems to be a quite normal increase to account for the cost of the cooler.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113499&Description=2700x cpu&cm_re=2700x_cpu-_-19-113-499-_-Product

As mentioned in the article there were special edition MAX cooler edition CPU's elsewhere already, so again not unusual:

"AMD has also released special edition chips in the past–the company released its Limited Edition Ryzen 7 2700 and Ryzen 5 2600X MAX bundles last year. Even though those chips, which come with a better Wraith Max cooler than the standard models, still haven't made their way to American shores, you can still find them for sale overseas."

None of that is anything like the $100 jacked up 8086k price, which traded on the promise of slightly higher OC, which was also available with new turns of the 8700k, both of which have been left behind in capability, soon to be further behind when AMD releases their new 7nm CPU's.

Which brings up the most unusual thing about this rumor of a special edition 2700x, WTH would AMD think we'd buy it? Given the release of new 7nm 3xxx CPU's announced the next day - or soon thereafter, why would anyone want a special edition 12nm CPU??

IDK, this rumor seems bogus to me.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    Papusan and ajc9988 like this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 2700X comes with a bundled Wraith Prism cooler, and it's often considerably less than $329.

Semi-OT, I was planning to wait for the summer/fall to buy a 3000-series, but my old system had...other ideas. If any of the leaked specs on the 3000-series are accurate, that will be a real beast -- a lot better deal than any "anniversary" package.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Jack up the price for celebrating its 50th Anniversary is exactly same as Intel did. Nothing more or less. Intel with higher clocks and AMD with a useless cooler. Can't see there is an difference in this. But I would prefer higher clocks vs the fancy cooler:D You mean the cooler is worth near $50 usd on top? I don't think so:nah:

8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. But, due to adoption of PCIe 4.0 and soon DDR5, plus the VRM, there may be reason to upgrade the board next year, although I'd hope to see compatibility nonetheless.

With rumors of TR3 coming in Q4 this year, it is a crap shoot on me upgrading to it or waiting for next year and going to Epyc. Granted, no one really is utilizing pcie4.0 bandwidth yet, both Intel and Nvidia are looking at server products with speeds like pcie5. But we should also get the first slot supporting PCIe 4.0.

On mainstream, I read another article that explained the problem better. Certain MFRS. Went with a 16MiB bios chip on first gen Ryzen. The second gen boards used 32MiB chips. Because of that, unless you have like a bios flashback, two bios, or similar, you would need to fork bios development for different generations.

So MB MFRS cheaping out on an aspect of the MB because they did not think AMD had anything read the market wrong and made a bad decision. Kind of sucks.
    I agree with @hmscott, this product, if true, makes NO SENSE! Doesn't mean it isn't true, just who would want to buy his with the 3000 series allegedly fully launching 2 months and one week later (7/7) and with computex keynote on may 27th? This would seem like a forced release for some reason, much like the radeon vii, more than an anniversary product. Then again, they may have been honing their binning process with these chips while preparing for Ryzen 3000 and want to recoup development costs. I don't know. Or maybe they might be doing it since MB MFRS not being ready with new x570 boards in time, which we already know that is part of what AMD is waiting on to release new chips.

But either way, it just doesn't seem like the product to make a bold statement. The 8-core 95W 3XXX in a highly binned anniversary edition would make WAY more sense. Even I might have grabbed one of those (even without currently having funds to build out a whole system). Even without new boards out, many X470 boards already have the firmware to support the new chips.

But who knows. We'll find out for sure in about two wks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    To build on the analogy, Intel released the anniversary edition about 3-4 months before their next gen, went with highly binned current gen processors, even though it only added 100-200 MHz or so. AMD is releasing current gen about 2 months before.

Either way, I don't feel either were worth buying. People will buy it, but that doesn't mean it is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Put it the other way... If people was in the market for buying current gen chips now. It would be more wise buy highest clocked cpu vs. buy a lower clocked chips included cooler (this if they go for unlocked chips). But I'm agree with you, buy this one now with no changes in bin or clocks is stupid. Even worse if it's the same chips for higher cost but bundled with a prettier cooler.

jclausius, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.