]]>

Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Are you freaken serious! That is insane! Leaving it up to the masses to switch on protection, that they will probably never know about? LOL. Intel is in a whole heap of trouble.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Oh, I have no doubt this will be brought up in the class actions!

hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  3. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:

I have to post this because I pointed out pcper giving misleading information on Ryzen latency and the effects of ram on Ryzen and the 10 core 7900X in May or June timeframe. I need to go to the early links in this thread and send the information to Adored on that. Just shows the bias and why I don't trust pcper personally for most of my reviews. When you see a pattern....

Edit: I thought I had here, but can no longer find it. It may have been deleted with the Tiller and me fighting.

So, PCPer used the latency test for Ryzen. In April, they showed that different speeds lowered latency. They then published a review of the 7900X, but compared it to the Ryzen results from March, then used faster ram with the Intel chip than the Ryzen chip, and showed Intel Mesh actually also lowers latency while increasing speed. They did not share the links between the articles at the time. As such, this shows the bias of the reviews which should be considered in sharing information on comparing and contrasting platforms. I'll attach the links shortly and will attach the email upon request between me and PCPer.

Edit 2: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proce...X-Processor-Review/Thread-Thread-Latency-and-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proce...Core-i5/CCX-Latency-Testing-Pinging-between-t

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://dev.pcper.com/index.php/reviews/Processors/Ryzen-Memory-Latencys-Impact-Weak-1080p-Gaming
    [​IMG]

Notice also the mistake on the 1800X label for comparison to the 7900X when the 140ns latency applied to 2133. Also, this does not take into account the effects of specific memory timing tweaks that can lower latency further.

Edit: the discussion was roughly around page 27, give or take.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  5. ajc9988

Reputations:

One fewer reason to want Intel! Optane!

TANWare, Raiderman and jclausius like this.
  6. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not surprised at the bias some sites have for one or the other, but at least hide it a little better. I can usually spot biased sites fairly quick.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  7. ajc9988

Reputations:

I'll just leave this here! Any one good at desktop and server BIOS want to do experiments?

Raiderman, hmscott and TANWare like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Intel’s Coffee Lake CPUs Outselling AMD Ryzen CPUs, Latest Report Reveals – Core i7-8700K Popular Among Gamers-wccftech.com
    [​IMG]

Is Ryzen Affect Over or Coffee Lake Just Too Good For Gamers?
    "Intel may be seen coming back to their dominant position again thanks to Coffee Lake. There are several reasons why that is so. Intel’s Coffee Lake CPUs perform exceptionally well in games and the addition of more cores and decent prices on the 8000 series processors has made many users upgrade their older Intel PCs."

ajc9988 likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    "...However, for AMD users, this is nothing to worry about. AMD has enjoyed months of processor sales and the reason why they are diminishing now is that there are users who are currently waiting for the next great thing from AMD. And that’s the Zen+ based Ryzen 2000 series desktop processors which will launch alongside the X470 AM4 motherboards.

Furthermore, those users who are currently running a AM4 platform can simply upgrade to a new chip without having to replace the entire platform. Once the new chips launch, AMD sales will rebound and take over Intel’s once again if priced right and perform just as great as the previous Ryzen launch from AMD."

You left out the punchline again, totally misrepresenting the message of the article...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    ajc9988 likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations: