Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol @|BloodBrother ... did the heart warming thought of eight hunge in Aisle 40 have sumthin to do w/those plans ... ... ... fitty dolla per core's lookin' good
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

2. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Neah, got remote access permissions to use the office's render farm from home :p

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualc...m-server-processor-Centriq-2400.263806.0.html

qualcomm server cpu, looks promising wonder how amd will be able to make good money with this CPU in place. going from anandtech's review, qualcomm is doing what amd is doing by providing massive number of cores while focusing on power efficiency while have a better value on top of AMD's eypc.

amd has more cache and pcie lanes though, and they specifically target dual socket system. @ajc9988 @tilleroftheearth what you guys think

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    It's an arm based chip, and Intel is more under siege than AMD. But, with the different architecture, you have to utilize a different OS, have less inter-compatibility than between Intel and AMD, need programs that can operate on an arm os, etc. Until there is a larger adoption of arm servers, which may come in a couple years, it isn't really a concern yet.

To put this in perspective, Intel has 98% share in the server market. AMD has less than a percent, while arm has even less. So, it depends on use, ability to shift over, etc.

ole!!! and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    They'd have to make it really easy to switch out to make it worthwhile.

7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Yeah; I admit it looks promising.

But if I'm hesitant to move to Ryzen/TR/Epyc platforms (even if they met my performance/productivity criteria) because of concerns such as stability, availability and compatibility with my current software and O/S setup, imagine how the customers that need 48 cores 24/7/365 will feel about taking a good/known setup and throwing it out the window to start 'new'.

Even taking into consideration the 3x performance offered and the 5x less cost...

Qualcomm will be in a much better position sometime in 2020+ when and if the O/S of their target customers, along with the software, of course, is offered, proven and then gives more performance at that time than what their rivals/competition offers then too.

Today? This would be great for a startup that is looking to get into this type of server at the lowest cost. At the same time; that lowest cost is going to cost them a lot in time to setup exactly as they need it (if it can be done at all, too).

I trust Qualcomm to have researched their target market and wish them all success in selling every one of these systems they can build.

Are any of the other players worried about them today? N0.

Because they'll have 10nm platforms out in due time too. With none of the drawbacks and limitations that 'arm' brings with it today.

Not to mention their proven history of dependability and compatibility with what the world runs today and into the near/medium foreseeable future.

ole!!! and ajc9988 like this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Yeah, I couple years back, I hoped for quicker adoption, but after seeing current offerings, have less faith. With that said, 7nm TSMC arm chips at 4GHz have been demoed, with huge core count like this. GloFo, if they achieve 5GHz x86 on 7nm (still an if, not a when; but likely to get into the 4GHz range for 7nm HPC), we could see more adoption, unless Intel next year gets more adoption of their FPGA platform. If you are going to pay for that change, giving a real look at Qualcomm makes sense.

But we can't simply point to 10nm, as Intel's price cuts to partners (credits and rebates) are their best defense. This also supports your statement about small companies and startups that don't get them and pay closer to 70-80% of announced price, instead of 50-70% for larger partners. And those with no contacts and no way to get the price down, full retail is Hell, so AMD and this make WAY more sense for them.

But I do agree.
    I've actually seen its server rack config. They are pretty nice, even though they can take up a decent amount of rack space. It is the same difficulty for switching out chips as with AMD and Intel. So that isn't a concern. They had some really cool showings at computex.

hmscott and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's good to hear, it was sounding like there would be more changes needed, but if it's just adding more physical space for them, that's not nearly as big of a deal.

hmscott likes this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:

To show some of the ARM server offerings out there.

hmscott likes this.