Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Today's laptops comes with Kaby... But almost all laptop models come with 2x M.2 slots. Crazy!!

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    From my perspective, AMD is still behind Intel where it is most capable (the processor) for my workflows.

Hoping to see an Optane killer from AMD - today, in my lifetime - is truly believing in fairy tales. Here's to hoping I see fairies before I go. ;)

Clarification;
    when I say DT platforms are superior to mobile offerings; I'm talking about (mostly) when the mobile platforms are on battery. Can't hold a candle to a platform that doesn't need to throttle, just to stay alive for a few more minutes...

A current DT with 64GB+ RAM and left on 24/7/356 (my 'normal') - even equipped with a HDD - is still superior to a notebook with the fastest (theoretical) PCIe storage subsystem and identical RAM. Put that notebook on battery power and the need to shut it on and off and the word 'performance' - or, more appropriately 'productivity' seems misused in that situation.

See:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2874&cmp[]=3098&cmp[]=3007

The i7-7920HQ is a great option for a mobile system, yet:

Even the i7-7700K (Q4 2016) is over 20% faster in multithreaded loads and almost 22% faster in single threaded 'responsiveness'.

(Compared to the i7-8700K with a commanding ~70% lead in multithreaded and ~31% lead in single threaded 'responsiveness').

What is most annoying to me (even while it increases battery life which is also important...) is that the cores need to rev up/down in the mobile platform to balance battery and performance aspects. This is what feels like molasses to me in certain (mine) workloads/workflows.

With a mere 40W more TDP and unlimited wall power. A desktop platform is as removed from a top of the line mobile offering as an F150 is from a true sports car when the course is a racetrack.

With an Optane based mobile platform - we would eliminate most of the need for the processor to rev up/down while doing work (because it would be constantly fed with data to work on and therefore it will be effectively 'locked' at the higher clocks - just like it's DT cousin already is - even with a HDD).

Of course, a DT with Optane will distance itself just as easily once again. But the jump for mobile computing won't be subtle; at least that's what I'm hoping for.

ole!!! likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC 8-Core AMD Ryzen Gaming Laptop Unboxing and Review

ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC Notebook ★ Review Hardware ★ [HD] ★ German | Deutsch

ajc9988 likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Interesting developments in the 8700k reviews with reviewers caught accidentally OC'ing the CPU at stock because the motherboard BIOS defaults enabled Multi-Core OC + All Core Sync, running all the cores at 4.7ghz instead of stock boost.
    wide variance in 8700k Cinebench results.jpg
    Dropping the boost clocks down to stock changes the results dramatically, and Ryzen 7 1700x jumps ahead of the 8700K, with Ryzen 5 1600x much closer than original benchmarked.

This appears to be done to pump up the "stock" scores of the 8700k because the "real stock" 8700k scores are below the Ryzen 7 1700x without the OC boost.

AdoredTV video explaining the issue
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...coffee-lake-z370.809268/page-17#post-10614718

Jayz2cents explaining the mistake, and retesting the 8700k at "real stock" boost speeds.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...coffee-lake-z370.809268/page-17#post-10614749

Deks and ajc9988 like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    I mean all by now should know what the CBR-15 score should be for 8700K@4.3GHz. +- scores depending on what ram(speed+timings) you have.
    [​IMG]

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was kind of joking, but it does seem like Intel and NVidia don't really do anything new except if they think AMD has a chance of dropping something competitive. If they could seem like a threat in storage that would be awesome.

7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Problem with market dominance in capitalism. If research was done for the purity of research, you wouldn't have the bs cutting down or holding back.

ole!!! likes this.
  8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

They still might, you know, incrementally release upgrades to make it look like the advancement curve is shallower than it really is.

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Purity of research? :)

Can't slice that up and feed your family with it.

If it can't be marketed, at a profit, there is no corporation that will proceed in such a fashion.

This isn't a problem. It is simply reality.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    AMD vs. Intel at 16 cores: We test Ryzen Threadripper 1950X against Core i9-7960X

Conclusion;
    Looked at in a core-vs.-core battle without considering price, Intel's Core i9-7960X leads the way. It gives you great performance at light-duty applications and generally can't be touched by the Threadripper 1950X in heavy-duty applications, either. In a lot of the tests we ran, we were actually surprised Core i9 ran away from Threadripper so easily.

That said, it's pretty hard to ignore price when you're spending your own money on a build. Our opinion hasn't changed for Threadripper: It is absolutely the best $1,000 CPU you can get, a spectacular deal. But price aside, in a 16-vs.-16 battle, Core i9 is the winner.
    [​IMG]
    "The $700 probably seems excessive—unless you're looking at an uber-expensive box such as either of the Falcon Northwest Talon PCs."

Aka nothing new in the sun. And Pcworld.com haven't talked about how they will perform (compare) with maxed or decent OC.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    ajc9988 likes this.