Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Delidding a $1000 CPU - Worth the RISK??

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So, pretty sure steam is purposely trying to skew numbers for Intel CPUs. I have not used my laptop in months. I was using my TR desktop build. Never got a pop-up asking for the hardware survey. I go back to my laptop while waiting for the parts to fix my GPU block. Every time I open steam, I'm asked for the hardware survey. I had steam open the first couple days of the month on my TR build. One day later on the laptop, I am asked. This makes me have ZERO faith in the steam hardware numbers, a point of contention and debate in this thread months ago. Discuss.

@hmscott @TANWare @ole!!! @Papusan

hmscott likes this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    intel is hard to beat now. with 2 core increase and higher frequency, it wins in most application that uses same amount of cores as an AMD chip. i think the hardest part for AMD to overcom currently is the i3, 4 cores 4 threads with an IGPU at below $180 thats hard to beat.

since AMD need market share, the largest market area is consumer desktop/mobile with just 2-4 cores and iGP. on higher end theres still plenty of reason to go AMD and future proof oneself with more cores but thats not enough. AMD cant win with just price cut it'll become how it was previously with bulldozer just a bit better off, they need to bring out APU and fast, 2018 still several months away.

could it be TR is new hardware and steam just havent catch up to it? like if steam can't recognize certain type it wont even ask, something like that.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It doesn't just detect your hardware and report back? I thought that was the reason I'm not getting them any more.

5. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Interesting. Though more interesting that they mentioned they based the last such assessment on a delid without a tool to do it.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Optane 900P SSD, Successor to the Intel 750 Series-Techpowerup.com
    @ole!!! @tilleroftheearth (The ssd lovers:D)

"Industry contacts" have told TweakTown that a successor to Intel's well received 750 series NVMe drives will launch within weeks. The second generation Optane 900P SSDs will be available in both the U.2 and AIC (PCI-E 3.0) form factors, with capacities of 280, 480, 960 and 1500 GBs. Like the Intel 750 series, the Optane 900P has enterprise roots, namely Intel's ridiculously expensive 375GB P4800X; which we covered earlier. As the 900P is aimed at consumers, maybe more accurately prosumers, prices should be "affordable".

Optane 900p

• (Rumored) Sequential read/write speeds 2.5/2 GB/s
    • (Rumored) Random IOPS read/write 550,000/500,000
    If accurate, the sequential write and random IOPS write speeds of the Optane 900p are substantially higher than the Intel 750 series, whose performance varied with drive capacity. It is also unconfirmed at this point, but the 900p might be compatible with AMD X399 motherboards, given that some motherboard manufactures have included a U.2 connector.

ole!!! and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Any step forward is welcomed... but I want Optane in my notebook!

Almost any (i7 QC+ w/16GB+RAM) desktop that I use is quick enough today - even with just a 7200RPM HDD. (Seriously).

But a notebook still feels like it is working under molasses to me - no matter how well spec'd and current it is - vs. a properly equipped DT platform.

Intel, give us mobile Optane already! I have the cash shovel waiting!!! :D:D:D

ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  8. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    What you have to do is convince AMD to make something like it for notebooks.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    6 and 8 core Ryzen laptops from Asus anyone?
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/
    Comes with an SSD 256 GB and 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM and RX 580 (4GB).

Though, other OEM's would be nice to incorporate Ryzen too and tweak it to allow for higher speeds and of course modify Vega too to work on a laptop (hey by undervolting Vega, power consumption can drop over 30% bringing it in line with Nvidia easily enough - Vega 56 can be equivalent to 1080 at lower power draw than 1080).
    If OEM's can shove a 1070 and 1080 into a laptop, no reason Vega can't be either... with undervolting and minor underclocking it would probably fit inside a nice TDP (and AMD hardware can't be treated the same like Nvidia as we know it needs some undervolting because AMD always overvolts to improve yields).

But OEM's are really stupid for clinging to outdated cooling solutions in the first place... they can likely redesign it entirely with relatively cheap and far superior methods by now, but they are too lazy.

Look at laptop screens - they are usually maxing out at 1080p... and higher resolution options are rare to find, only to be ridiculously expensive.

Speed-wise and how fast a system works... meh, laptops are already on par (especially with SSD's... can't help but think that HDD's should be done away with and entirely replaced with SSD's in the first place).

hmscott likes this.
  10. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Agree 100%, the sooner we can get rid of HDD/ODDs the better.

hmscott and Papusan like this.