Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    The 1800x should be a better CPU but the z370 chipset seems very limited on PCI-e. This will kill its ability to compete in gaming etc.. You would think Intel would be learning by now.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Ultimate Low Budget Gaming PC Builds BENCHMARKED! AMD vs Intel

Followup video:

My tests were FLAWED! $500 Gaming PCs re-tested

4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    remember back when CNL was suppose to be here end of 2015 or early 2016 there was articles of CNL to be going from 2c/4c to 6c/8c. wondering how much of that still true now theres no way intel will give us 8 cores if enough people buy their CFL 6c though.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If only AMD could increase clock speed + higher OC for everything aka R5 1600 and up in mainstream. Intel would be eaten to breakfast, dinner and supper. Just let Intel continue with 6 cores as best for mainstream in the future, and I'm sure we will see a disgusting bloodbath. Intel need to come up with 8 cores with Z390 for 2018... Or the train will pass!!

hmscott likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper Does Have Four 8-Core Dies (32-cores)-guru3d.com

"Well, these dummies seem to be 8-core dies (these are called Zeppeling dies). I personally think that AMD simply might be is re-using failed dies here and simply called them dummies as in non-working dies. No-body really knows except AMD of course."
    upload_2017-9-16_2-12-49.png

Edit...
    Threadripper Delidding Reveals Epyc In Disguise – AMD 32 Core Desktop CPU Maybe In The Works

"This means that AMD, well… has the means – forgive the wordplay – to actually produce and launch a desktop processor with up to 32 cores. der8auer goes one step further to postulate that this is the very reason AMD is using four dies, because it may in fact have plans to produce a 32 core desktop processor."

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    ole!!!, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Intel To Launch Ice Lake 8 Core, 16 Thread Mainstream CPUs in Second Half of 2018 – Will Feature Support on 300 Series Platform

"Intel seems to be preparing a new series of processors which will further boost the core count of their mainstream platform. The said processor lineup is planned for launch in second half of 2018 and it might be making use of the latest 10nm process technology."

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    The stories are getting wilder and wilder...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-coffee-lake-status.807915/page-37#post-10601965

"Well, well, well, "Iced Coffee Lake" in 2H18...

Intel To Launch Ice Lake 8 Core, 16 Thread Mainstream CPUs in Second Half of 2018 – Will Feature Support on 300 Series Platform
    http://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-ice-lake-8-core-16-thread-mainstream-cpu-leak/

"The details come from Eurocom, a known manufacturer of high-end laptops and workstations that are designed to be mobile yet fully upgradable.

A representative of the company revealed on Note book Review forums that they will update their Tornado F5 laptop to the Z390 chipset, supporting Intel’s 8 Core, 16 Thread CPUs arriving in 2H 2018. The rep also mentioned that the Tornado F7 will also receive an update but the company has no plans to update their Tornado series to the current Z370 chipset which launches in a few weeks."

And, the leak comes full circle back to NBR ;)

Papusan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, I don't trust all coming out everywhere, but I'm sure Intel can't live with that Amd can offer 8 cores chips for mainstream. Intel screwed up and created the mess (Z370-390) by themselves. Started long time ago. Only offer 6 cores for mainstream platform is low end!! The Z370 Chipset smells panic!!! Long way.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    And, now the stink continues through to 2H18 :)

If Z390 is going to be on the 1151(?) it's still supposed to be non-compatible with the Coffee Lake #1 releasing first, which means there are 3 non-compatible CPU / socket releases back to back: Z2xx, Z37x(1), Z39x(2)

Intel is really blowing off their customer base if that's true, of course any of this can change depending on what AMD releases next year, and Intel has to scurry around once again.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Papusan likes this.