Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Still a better option than locked down firmware, no overclocking and 2133/2400MHz ram for laptops.

ole!!! and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The reports I've heard are that there are no overclocking or parameter adjustment tools. So the BIOS would need to recognize XMP profiles or have it's own built in tuning to match unknown memory.

There aren't enough owners reporting in yet, and none with hardware or tuning enthusiast interests.

Someone needs to try it :)

ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd do it, but I'd need to get my hands on that Ryzen laptop first.
    They are still not available in UK from Overclockers.
    Any idea why?

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Email them and ask :)

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I might just have to go with a GTX 1080 ti instead of Vega. I wanted the Liquid cooled card but the packs will only be for a monitor, I have mine already, or a discount on a Ryzen 7 combo and I want a TR. For just about $699 I can get an air cooled 1080 TI or a bit more for a hybrid cooled. I still have to wait for the proper full coverage AIO coolers so there is time but it is not looking good right now.

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The packs aren't the only distribution method, you can get single cards too. Maybe the % will be lower initially, but you can get a single card eventually :)

7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Why not go with a custom CPU water cooler solution? I know you do not plan to OC your CPU, but a custom water cooler is not difficult at all to set up and yearly maintenance isn't bad. Your temps will be much better compared to an AIO cooler. Once you conquer your first custom water cooling setup, it becomes addictive.

As for Vega, I don't think it is going to be as available as some may think. I'm currently building a Ryzen 5 gaming rig for a friend for under $1000 and guess what, the 580's are over 350. I may have to get a 1060 6GB even though I told him the 580 is an amazing 1440p card...but not at its current prices.

TANWare likes this.
  8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    No, they can't. Single-CCX apparently cannot be used either. Ryzen (that is, socket AM4) is 2 CCX for all chips. Even the 4c/8t 1400/1500X are two 2c/4t enabled, 2c/4t disabled CCX units. 1600/1600X is 3c/6t enabled 1c/2t disabled.

Threadripper can be used with a single Ryzen die, the 1900X is a 1800X on threadripper with filler portions of the die. But it will, as far as I know, still support 60 PCI/e CPU lanes and quad channel memory.

Threadripper socket COULD fit in a 17" laptop, but it's probably going to be single-GPU only which sort of defeats the purpose of it, and only one company will be willing to at least put the steps in place to even kind of properly cool it. Or we'll be having watercooled laptops again from ASUS!
    I HAVE heard of an update that maximizes the speed of the infinity fabric and unlinks it from RAM speed, which would be an absolute godsend for Ryzen, but who knows if that will really bear fruit. It is the only way I can think of to properly use Ryzen in notebooks.
    I don't think you understand. The vast majority of notebooks do not cross 2666MHz in memory speed. GT73VR won't, @bloodhawk is the only person I've ever seen get 2800MHz to even boot in an AW17 R4, and even then it isn't stable enough to do anything, Razer/Acer/ASUS/Lenovo might as well be ignored in this matter. Unless people shipping Ryzen SIGNIFICANTLY improve the RAM traces and whatnot on their motherboards, we're going to run into the same or worse scenario on Ryzen, which does not handle high speed RAM as well as Kaby Lake/Z270 does by a MILE.

It sucks that 2400-2666 is a limit for Sky/Kaby. And it's still here. Not forgotten.

Considering ASUS is the best for high speed RAM on the intel side of things, and ASUS motherboards don't support high speed RAM on notebooks, don't expect this to happen. Ryzen also stops benefiting much around 3200MHz, which literally only a handful of Clevo notebooks will even boot with, all of which are Prema modded.

Yes, they will be. And if they're not, ASUS deserves severe backlash for not including high speed RAM support on their existing CM238 notebooks.

9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    2800Mhz is perfectly stable :p
    3000Mhz not so much.

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Burn the witch!

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

bloodhawk, ajc9988 and Papusan like this.