Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399/TRX40; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    32-core (2x 16) Intel Ice Lake Server Geekbench benchmarks leak — 80% more performance than AMD Epyc Rome 7702P with half the cores? notebookcheck.com | Mar 12, 2020

Geekbench listings of what appears to be a 32-core (16-core dual-socket) Intel Ice Lake Server processor have surfaced. Ice Lake Server appears to put up a strong show against AMD's Epyc Rome 7702P in Geekbench 4 running on Windows Server 2019 with half the number of cores. AMD, however, has the core-count advantage, which still eludes Intel owing to lower yields on the 10nm process.

A point to be noted here is that Epyc shows way higher scores in Geekbench 4 in Linux even with a 1S setup. So, a lot of factors can influence these scores and unless we get to see an Ice Lake Server Geekbench 4 benchmark running on Linux, it is not possible to make a definite conclusion.

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    There is also the optimizations on AVX-512, also seen with some versions of geekbench, or that there are reasons why GB3 is still used for multithreaded points and GB4 only single threaded.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Gigabyte skips AMD, updates entire Aorus and Aero lineup with Intel 10th gen Core i7/i9 Comet Lake-H notebookcheck.net | 2020/04/02

Now that Intel has officially lifted the curtains off mobile Comet Lake-H, OEMs everywhere are free to announce their refreshed 2020 models. Taiwanese manufacturer Gigabyte is already on board as nearly all of its current models will be updated with 10th gen Comet Lake-H parts ranging from the hexa-core Core i7-10750H to the octa-core Core i7-10875H and even the unlocked Core i9-10980HK.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Intel reverses the trend in Steam's processor usage survey by snatching a significant chunk of AMD's overall share notebookcheck.net | April 4, 2020

Intel has witnessed a surprising reversal of fortune in Steam’s Hardware & Software Survey for March in terms of processor usage. While the chipmaker has been losing share against AMD consistently month after month, the latest data from Steam shows that Team Blue has now actually regained a significant amount of ground.
    Intel has been slipping in regard to processor usage in Steam’s hardware survey for many months, and it would have been reasonable to presume that March would be no different. However, the latest information published by the gaming platform tells a different story, as Intel has enjoyed a considerable percentage change for the month, rising from 78.2% to 81.25%.

Source(s)
    Steam

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MSI was the "first" Gaming Laptop maker to adopt Ryzen system to their product line with the Alpha15...... and it seems not to fare well with some buyers out there that cast a negative impression on Ryzen system usage on gaming performance. Gigabyte being the competitor in the gaming field, of course will hv a laugh and alert on MSI "stupidity choice" that drags them behind in sales race.
    In some markets, especially the Asian side, gamers are tilted towards what Intel performance can give them after years of market dominance. Hence, some early adopters of Ryzen system will tend to expect AMD's return will knock Intel down in a single punch with the 3000 series Ryzen CPU, which is IMO, the wrong direction to go to... Where the key factor in Gaming performance always falls on the GPU type, RAM size secondly, CPU comes last!

So far we're seeing the Ryzen CPU enter towards the mid-end systems of the Gaming arena, such as the Zephyrus, not just simply available thru the entry level TUF Gaming range of Asus. We've yet to see any announcement of entry of the Ryzen into Acer's mid-end arena, the TRITON range yet. By the time it AMD gets adoption into the HELIOS family... U'll probably see Gigabyte have their entry products with Ryzen.

[​IMG]
    Great news here if Lenovo's plan is happening... on their intermediate LEGION range.
    https://engnews24h.com/lenovo-legion-r7000-the-notebook-with-the-apu-amd-ryzen-4000-is-coming/

Being a laptop user enters in late XP era with Turion TL50, which accompanied me going thru that dreadful Vista period... which i didn't choose to upgrade. Luckily...
    http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-inspiron-1501-review-2/
    ...then into Win7 with Athlon2 P320...
    http://translate.google.com/transla...-lh520/&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

The Ryzen series platform given me high(...and excitement) hopes on AMD products!

Only if LapTop makers can make such user CPU upgradeable gears...

...AMD Adventurers can play around with different Ryzen CPUs to get more assessment readings!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2020
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @Deks, where is the source that proves what he's claiming about Ian?

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD best-buds, TSMC, designed an 'enhanced' 5nm node for its future Ryzen chips
    https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-zen-4-specific-5nm-enhanced-node/#comment-jump

Wow... it's actually really interesting that TSMC decided to design an enhanced 5nm node just for AMD.
    I wonder what prompted this development.

Overall, it still looks like things are on schedule for Zen 4 and 5nm to appear next year (2021) or at the latest in early 2022.

10. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just a bit off topic, Folding@Home has started to do Corona Virus. Might be a good time to show off your TR power, I know I have. An FYI the team for notebook review is 213698.

ajc9988 likes this.