Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399/TRX40; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The USB filings has resulted in multiple rumors. This included with the x399 and Zen 2 compliance. I think a lot of misinformation, intentional or otherwise, has extended from that. The lower scores to me are mathematically linked to 3.8 GHz all core on the 3970x on cb20 where only the base of 2.9 GHz was on the 3990x. further higher boosts from better silicon and cooling may yield higher results.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Did you read the article I linked? It explains it perfectly.

So, instead of letting the rumors die, you continue with more analysis and conjecture. Huh.

Wonder how the rumors got started? lol... :D

3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am not sure the final of the 3990x but TBH it should blow about anything from Intl out of the water even with just the TRX40. About the only advantage of the TRX80 would have been the higher ram amounts from 8 channels. In aqbout a month or so more we should find out more.

4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    No, I gave CONTEXT to the rumor NOT GIVEN in the article. There is a difference. I DID NOT dispute his findings. There is a difference!

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, AMD binned their best chips for their most expencive Sku's (+$1399). Of course the remaining chips wasn't enougt to justify launch of 3950X as scheduled. And of course you couldn't find many 3900X after launch as well. Yeah, why let the best binned chips go to their cheaper High end mainstream chips as 3950X? Much better throw it's customers over to the gready wolfs who don't bother with MSR prices.

"These new CPUs have only been available in small quantities since launch and have been selling out almost immediately, leading to price gouging on eBay"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-threadripper-3970x-overclocking-record
    "Another thing I noticed is that AMD appears to save the best chiplets for the 32- and 64-core parts. This is obvious seeing that all four 3970X CPUs I have tried beat my best 3950x and 3900x in max clock speed on water cooling! There's nothing wrong with tight binning, but for overclockers, finding a chip that you can just overclock to be competitive with the next SKU doesn't seem possible on the current-gen AMD chips. If you want to overclock your processor, pay the extra cash and get the X-series, as the non-X series are the chips that don't hit the higher boost bins"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    jclausius likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your post makes no sense and add's nothing to the discussion. Collecting a list of long past transient glitches that no longer are relevant and waffling on about nothing helpful in a random outburst, why?

Kinda reminds me of the last historical "burning of an empire", While Cesar Fiddles - Rome Burns, @Papusan mumbles incoherently as Intel turns into a smoking hole in the ground. ;)

How is this binning of silicon different than AMD and Intel have done throughout history?

Higher binned silicon makes it's way up the ladder to higher performance parts - where they can be appreciated by their owners - that's why they are paying more, for exceptional performance.

The AMD lower end components meet their specifications and provide great price / performance, and x components also OC as I've posted - and sooo many others have shared as well.

The 3950x single core outperforms the 3900x, and draws less power for the same tasks, so it's a great upgrade for only $250 more than the 3900x and also adds 2c/4t's more. It's really the sweet spot in the AM4 line for highest performance / throughput.

But, the 3700x at only $300 gives 8c/16t vs Intel's overpriced parts and the 3700x @ all core 4343mhz outperforms Intel's 9900k's overclocked to 5ghz. Save a bunch of $ and use the CPU savings to get 5GB/sec SSD's, couple that with a nice $150 Asus x570-P (not Prime) or the new MSI MAG Tomahawk x570 for $189, and you've no need for Intel's no-undervolt / overpatched insecure CPU's.

Take those potential 3700x configurations and sub in the 3600x and save $100 for just as good gaming performance when you don't intend on streaming or running loads capable of needing 8c/16t's, and save $60 more and sub in a 3600 and do manual OC'ing, owners have gotten good results doing that too.

Why buy old broken technology like Intel? Can't get unstuck from the past? Try looking up and out past the wet paper sack, then tear it off and emerge into the light. :)

Zen 3 is coming, but no need to wait with such great AMD AM4 CPU's.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Of course it makes sense. AMD screwed their 3900X and 3950X buyers. Only Good know what they had to pay getting an chips while AMD collected most of the chips for coming TR.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You are being silly. :)

AMD have blessed their AMD 3950x owners, and blessed their 3900x owners - they are thrilled with their purchases.

You are blowing raspberries of jealousy, nothing more.

When are you gonna admit Intel has lost and buy yourself some AMD joy? It's inevitable... I hope soon, I feel sad for you and all the Intel curmudgeons... sigh.

I'm sure you'd enjoy benchmarking on a ThreadRipper 3, why not follow your own advice and buy the best binned silicon from AMD :)

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Nope. "finding a chip that you can just overclock to be competitive with the next SKU doesn't seem possible on the current-gen AMD chips". I feel just sad for the AMD customers seeing this stated. @Mr. Fox

Of course... You still have SL. And for the time they have some aviable https://siliconlottery.com/collections/matisse/products/3950x41p
    upload_2020-1-24_20-22-44.png

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is only partially true, and it's not silly to everyone. It depends on the customer. Not all AMD Ryzen owners are happy with the lackluster overclocking abilities short of going to extreme cooling measures like LN2 or phase change. Now, if you don't care about having a great overclocking experience, then sure... what's not to love if you are content with stock, or near-stock, performance? If you do care about overclocking, it's not all sunshine and roses. We have at least two forum members in the desktop overclocking threads that are not particularly thrilled with that situation. One is selling his new AMD mobo and CPU because it's too boring for someone that enjoys overclocking. Wrong tool for the job if the job is overclocking. It's powerful and all that, but it's a belly-button solution.

jclausius and Papusan like this.