Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399/TRX40; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    from 10nm++ or +++, its definitely possible.

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Source?

I did the math and it seems less likely now more than ever.

Let's examine Intel's 14nm line and average overclock.

First you had Broad well C with about a 4.4GHz OC. Skykake had 4.8GHz. kaby was 5.0. Then coffee was 5.1-5.3, as each subsequent CPU has been. The old metric was 100-200MHz reduction per two cores and Intel's binning has gotten better. That is 900MHz from 14nm to 14nm+++.

With cannon lake, you had a Max boost of 3.3. With ice lake, it is 3.9. This is after Zen when Intel stopped leaving so much room on the table for OCing. This is also dual and quad core mobile chips, which is where 14nm started on core counts, and that 600MHz is with one new architecture and one process iteration, the same as the 600MHz jump seen from Broad well to kaby lake.

Even assuming up to a 500MHz boost over what mobile saw, like the comet lake mobile boosting to 4.8GHz and 9900KS (extreme binning), which has a boost of 5.3GHz.

So, taken together, it looks like a desktop variant would be in the mid-4GHz range, considering the additional cores and refinements as seen on 14nm.

Could something happen to make this estimate higher or lower? Sure. But pure wishful thinking that Intel will magically get 10nm to 5GHz isn't going to get it there, and you are not presenting any evidence or argument to contradict my points, instead referencing and repeating that it will be two more iterations, which doesn't help your point.

Further, even with that, I don't see Intel's 9th gen quad core going significantly further than the 8 core chips on air and AIOs.

Please, enlighten me to your proof.

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Bearded Hardware OCing 3970X on water.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ho-Ho-Ho, Merry Xmas!!, have you been nice? Then you get a nice Ryzen CPU - been bad, then you get a lump of "Intel"...

Who would want Intel on Xmas day? - with Vulnerabilities, thermal throttling from locked voltage adjustments, and who knows what else will come to haunt Intel in 2020??

What else could Linus do but recommend an all Ryzen Xmas?

Holiday CPU Buyers Guide - 2019
    Dec 14, 2019
    Linus Tech Tips

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Leaked Intel Six Core CPU Reveals a New Architecture Coming Soon tomshardware.com | today

Overall, it's hard to make any firm conclusions based on this result. The possibilities are many and the evidence is very thin. The one certainty is that this CPU is not a Skylake derivative. What isn't certain is whether or not this is 14nm Rocket Lake with a backported core, 10nm Tiger Lake for desktop, or something totally different, like Ice Lake for server.

ajc9988, tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    "Intel has already revealed it has the option of backporting architectures intended for 7nm onto the 10nm node, so the possibility of Rocket Lake being a 14nm architecture with designs intended for 10nm CPUs is certainly there. "

Man, Intel is so whacked out on expecting failure that they are preparing for backporting failed 7nm designs to the failed 10nm process - which is itself a failed process for them for so long and still won't allow full speed full cored full power CPU's.

I would imagine there would be experiments by Intel - trying one focused portion of the architecture or another in test CPU's as they push forward on 10nm or 7nm that wouldn't be a practical production sku but instead is an attempt to put what they can into a testbed chip - and that may be what is making it out into the benchmark test databases.

Of course if that's all Intel can do, maybe they will try to ship it and see if anyone will buy it. Intel will likely reach that point again - like the 2 core 10nm ULV CPU's without IGP.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean we should wait with the final judgement until we see the end results. Could be nice and it can be fiasco. If it's nice, AMD will see it's stock shares follow the waterflood, similar as "after you have clicked" the button on top of the toilet. How long was Adam and Eve in Paradise?:)

And not all will come up again. Maybe after several years as last time. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2019
    ajc9988, tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  9. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looked at another way, this is a consumer-level AMD processor that costs $500 against an Intel one that even now goes for more like $1300 (and whose successor isn't really a whole lot faster).

It might be interesting to see what a 3950X would do, or a Zen 2 Threadripper (which is a better comparison against an HEDT).

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @rlk sure, fair points. It doesn't change the glaring fact that two years later, AMD is 1% better than what Intel was two long years ago.

Price points are not interesting to me in a historical context. Sure, it matters when I'm buying something 'now', but if we're showcasing ultimate 'performance' (at least for a single metric like here) - then $$$$$ be damned.

There is always the 'what if' of doing something different... but all that matters is what is actually done.

Can't wait for a real head-to-head in a future showdown when AMD and Intel both offer the world what they consider state-of-the-art at roughly the same time point. That is when I'll feel things getting real and interesting. :)