Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399/TRX40; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's nothing but Intel's marketing BS. Intel's "plans" are fantasies at this point without anything to back it up. Intel prognostications aren't believable any longer, and haven't been for years now.

Intel's 10nm has failed to arrive in any high volume useful form for 6+ years and Intel is still failing to deliver desktop / server 10nm CPU's that are as competitive as their own 14nm CPU's.

With Intel giving up on having a majority share of mainstream CPU's (like Intel has a choice!!) => Intel has lost it and to pretend to be able to predict anything past next week is a joke.

This Intel BS is a bunch of baloney to dazzle and confuse the unwary. I can't believe Ian is repeating Intel's BS seriously => "Intel Expects" BS: Intel doesn't have a clue.

Intel’s Manufacturing Roadmap from 2019 to 2029: Back Porting, 7nm, 5nm, 3nm, 2nm, and 1.4 nm
    by Dr. Ian Cutress on December 10, 2019 2:35 PM EST
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15217/intels-manufacturing-roadmap-from-2019-to-2029

Enthusiasts Aren't Stupid!
    5n4k8feh5p341.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e8ien0/enthusiasts_arent_stupid/

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    jaybee83 likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This will change. AMD wasn’t competitive before lately. Just look at history. Same for Nvidia... They won’t do amazing things before some steal their sales. I expect you neither sit with the engineers table.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Some Intel vs 3950x + ThreadRipper 3 Benchmarks...

i9 10900X vs 10920X vs 10940X vs 10980XE vs Ryzen TR 3950X vs 3960X vs 3970X
    Premiered Nov 26, 2019
    Benchmark PC Tech
    i9 10900X vs i9 10920X vs i9 10940X vs i9 10980XE vs Ryzen 9 3950X vs Ryzen Threadripper 3960X vs Ryzen Threadripper 3970X Complete Roundup CASCADE LAKE-X vs RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3000 GEN BENCHMARK

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Notice how they are talking about things I discussed on process and where the industry was headed this past summer and last year. Only thing they didn't mention much of is a possible fully-depleted silicon on insulator (like sapphire), or a mixed situation of FDSoI with finFET or GAA or both.

Intel seems like they released that more to calm investors by saying they have a long standing plan. This is smart, as forward looking statements have safe harbor protections, so long as they do not embed current information or base it on known past performance (which would be teased out to have protections for projections but not for misstatements or omissions on past performance).

Either way, I mentioned Intel is releasing comet S in April. If true, rocket may not come to market this year, which back ports likely Willow cove, not sunny (which is only 18% IPC). We do not know what Willow will bring, but Intel already said they did NOT focus on ST performance, so likely not a lot of extra IPC.. If that then comes out in 2021 instead of 2020, it will be up against Zen 4, not Zen 3, which means AMD will have two generations worth of IPC stacking, which zen 2 is already ahead on IPC and performance is roughly equal to Intel with higher frequency. If AMD pulls off the 10-17% IPC with Zen 3, and Intel releases rocket against it, then Intel may have a slight performance lead. If it is going against Zen 4, then Intel's rocket lake will be like an FX processor: high frequency, low performance. I'm hoping that won't be the case, but known info says that would be the scenario and that would really suck.

If Intel instead cannot get rocket out until 2021, they must go ocean/golden cove to be competitive! That would be closer to ole's estimate and would keep them in the game. But the rumor says it is Willow cove, and that may not be good enough.

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    with zen 3, it is a dead end platform which not that worthy of consideration. but with intel, willow cove or golden cove will be back ported at that time to 10nm+++ and its very easy to see a 4.8-5 ghz cpu all cores mind you at a much higher IPC.

on the other hand, zen4 is gonna have to compete with that at 5nm. no doubt it'll probably be more efficient, at a much lower clocks too. i'd guess around the 4-4.1ghz we see today, vs a similar or stronger IPC CPU from intel at 4.8ghz, we already know how that will turn out.

6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    You are missing it. Willow doesn't focus on ST. Single threaded performance equals IPC. Since rocket is now planned 2021, it is going against Zen 4. So AMD will roll up two more gens of IPC compared to Intel. Rocket lake is 14nm, not 10nm. So why are you bringing up 10nm, which only applies to the iGP on rocket lake? Also, there is nothing to suggest Intel will hit 5GHz on 10nm, which they will be around 4GHz if 10nm+ says anything.

Zen 4 is on TSMC 5nm. Zen 5 will either be on 5nm+ or 3nm, considering TSMC is now saying 3nm may be ready for 2022. So Intel is competing with an EUV 5nm node shrink and two gens of IPC increases when they released rocket, which is Willow cove on 14nm.

So your math doesn't add up!

7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    amd hasnt mention anything about zen 4 IPC though. unless 3D cache stacking is used i dont expect all that much. also in 2021 it'll be golden cove not willow cove so no problem here with intel's IPC, assuming it is a major leap in IPC.

8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    No, do a simple Google search. Rocket is 14nm Willow cove, NOT golden cove. So some research before you speak. PCGamesN has an article talking about it from 8 days ago!

Also, Zen 4 is a full redesign. Considering the IPC gain on Zen 2, then rumors of 10-17% IPC gain on Zen 3, another overhaul for Zen 4 plus switching to DDR5 increasing memory bandwidth, they will likely have another 10-15% IPC there. So that is easily 23%+ on IPC over Zen 2. So there is always a chance Intel's speed, which was neutralized by Zen 2 IPC, results in Intel getting 18-26% IPC gain and them being equal.

But, if AMD does get closer to 15% per generation, then AMD could have a larger 5% IPC lead over Intel. If they hit 7% performance over Intel, that was the industry standard average of IPC for new core architectures before the Zen/sunny cover era. That is starting to move toward FX land.

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    why do i care about rocket lake? i am talking about golden cove in general. intel's slides showing backport to 10nm+++ with a new arch that is meant for 7nm, not 10nm arch back porting to 14nm+++, and they'd obviously only do that for 1st gen 7nm desktop/server parts so have best yields + performance.

10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    You are going to believe one Intel slide when rocket lake S is their mainstream desktop offering in 2021 and they haven't met their process roadmaps in 5 years. Good job, cause that makes sense. Also, Intel often does not produce on the node until 6+ months after it is allegedly volume production ready, meaning your thought is about their 2022 processor which will be against Zen 5, not 2021.