Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399/TRX40; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    The points you are right on:

1) Buy for your need,

2) Intel is better on mobile, and

3) this is but one data point.

But you are wrong in most protestations on AMD. You cannot take 80% of retail DIY sales at one of the largest retailers in Europe with bad hardware.

Where Intel remains king:

1) pure game machines seeking the highest FPS, and

2) photoshop and specific tasks in adobe software.

AMD outperforms at almost every other price point at almost any other task with Zen 2 desktop and HEDT. You even have the 3960X outperforming the W3175X Xeon with 4 more cores in some cases, while the 3970X wraps up the rest in most cases, all at a lower price point!

So, except on some things, you are largely wrong.

hmscott and jaybee83 like this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    My points stand. Your points need actual supply to become real.

And they still won't be useful or interesting to anyone in the 'normal user' category. ;)

3. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Are you kidding me? Look at no supply on cascade X. Look at Dell thinking of increasing AMD offerings because Intel's shortage is set to extend to H2 2020. Pot meet kettle.

And sales figures from GN affiliate links, the European hardware survey, and mind factory all say a different story. Granted, Intel still has the OEM pre-built market, but that will do very little if they have to switch due to supply.

Now, who do you think will get supply first? Intel is now back porting Willow cove to 14nm for rocket lake, allegedly. 14nm production is so backed up, Intel doesn't have a solution. Ice lake SP won't help as Cooper lake will be on 14nm and will be the premier chips for servers even with 10nm around.

So would you like to delve deeper into Intel's manufacturing woes?

4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I don't care about anyone's manufacturing woes. I care about products that I can buy now, if I'm buying now, and will only keep them if they're better than what I have. Having sampled both the latest available Intel and AMD products that interest me, AMD is still catching up. My general observations above were what was trickled down to 'normal' users, which you still think need the latest node to have the best experience (not).

Sales figures from 'affiliate links', 'hardware surveys' and 'mind factory' data points don't factor into this decision.

I have my own mind that I can make up, after all. No need to swallow or be spoonfed marketing fluff that is only tangentially true, at an absolute level, especially for the masses.

5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Your workload and uses benefit from Intel. Your snappiness suggestion is subjective garbage based on your sole experience and can even be based on software loaded on the OS, among other factors.

But I do give credence to your workloads FOR YOU being better on Intel. But there is a crap ton of other data points showing AMD doing better on other workloads. You not acknowledging that, then denigrating consumers that come to results and decisions different from yours is you ignoring their needs.

6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Yeah, the snappiness of the O/S, the programs I use and the time it takes the system to settle down from a full shutdown (with no hibernation file)/restart and recently, the startup using a hibernation file too (for my less stressed platforms) are all important to me.

Subjective? Sure. Garbage? If you don't care about it on your platforms; um, okay. :err:

For the millionth time; I can and do see how normal people use their systems... Once again, this isn't about my workflows/workloads... this is what anyone else will get for a limited 'xx' dollars. AMD is deficient with regard to those points on the systems I've used/tested.

The workloads AMD is better at is deep multi-core compute (video 'editing'... for most consumer workload/users).

For most consumers though, that is not a thing for them - ever. And for those cases, a faster/more responsive computer is better. Not just having more cores thrown at an imaginary problem(s) as AMD would have us believe.

I've acknowledged that AMD in the multicore race is leading (and I've said that at least a year ago now...). That doesn't make them better where 99.9% of consumer loads sit though.

7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Since you claim the "comparative systems you are interested in" then mention what they are. as I fear performance per dollar AMD in most cases wins. On gen 1 and gen 2 Ryzen I can see you case on occasion, but not with 7nm situations.

Edit; I also have to take notice, you say for 99.9% of users. Not true. The average users system is bloatware loaded to the brim. Having a huge reserve of cores to tackle that while still being operable is a huge plus.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    hmscott, jclausius and ajc9988 like this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Looks like someone is reading the Intel propaganda on which apps mobile users use and applying it to desktops. Lmao.

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lol this thread cracks me up. I guess I don't notice any difference in "snappiness" of my Intel systems vs my AMD systems, and I've had a few over the past couple of years:
    7920x
    9800x
    9920x
    1700x
    2700x
    3900x

The only thing I miss about my x299 setup is the fun in overclocking it (and quad channel memory). But most of those systems were fast enough to do everything I wanted to do on them. But my workload is gaming, solid modeling, massive excel spreadsheets, and transcoding/decoding/encoding large video files. A SSD (sata or NVMe doesn't matter) really helps to provide that "snappiness" that we all enjoy and love.

jaybee83, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    It can be fun. Tiller promotes Intel to a fault. Hmscott promotes AMD to a fault (recently accused me of being an Intel shill, whereas others have accused me of being an AMD fanboy/shill; when accused by both sides, you must be doing something right).

But, yeah, it is fun when it doesn't get out of hand, and something for everyone to enjoy.