Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399/TRX40; Xeon vs Epyc

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ajc9988, Jun 7, 2017.

1. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is the mechanism for read performance getting worse with decreased free space? I could see greater fragmentation (regardless of how full the drive is) requiring more I/O ops to read the same amount of data from a file, but it doesn't have the same issue as writing.

SSDs normally have a fair bit of overprovisioning built in to start with, and between TRIM and garbage collection, things are a lot better than they used to be.

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Please start, or use, a separate SSD thread if you wish to continue that discussion.

hmscott likes this.
  3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So, AMD Epyc servers just took 80 World Records!
    https://www.amd.com/en/processors/e...rldrecords&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=301
    Edit: This is on the heels of Intel saying next year they will have a SOCKETED 56 core Cooper lake. Hmmm.... World records and performance with an upgrade path, or bet on Cooper lake on 14nm and potentially the Ice Lake chips whenever they appear. Hmmm.... Intel tried to steal AMD's thunder, but with their non-appearance on the 56-core Cascade CPUs, versus AMD having actual 64-core chips in OEM and ODM systems without such restrictions on availability, with the Cascade-AP chips being BGA, enough said.

Edit 2: Mellanox working with AMD to bring 24 PCIe 4.0 NVMe partnered with their 100 and 200Gbps network adapters. Yum!
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...gxNjXHjsNmKaXEz4koEK2KQOELXF1Klv27yoigQe38g==

Edit 3: Benchmarks on storage for a Giga server on storage:
    https://www.storagereview.com/gigabyte_r272z32_amd_epyc_rome_server_review

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019
    ajc9988 likes this.
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
  7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

you dont need to post so much to show AMD is ahead. just this graph is enough to shows how powerful epycs are.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14694/amd-rome-epyc-2nd-gen/14

avx512 intel vs just avx eypc, just wtf intel?? their only advantage of avx512 is now gone no more reason buying intel in enterprise space.

8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I do because each show it in different ways. Serve the home is the most in depth. Anandtech is in depth, but is NOT serve the home. Moreover, Phoronix focuses on Linux in their own way.

Did you see serve the home showing the 100Gbps NIC running 40% slower on Intel? Or the storage throughput with that system?

Believe it or not, even though some overlap, each of those is unique in their coverage.

It is NO DIFFERENT than showing the coverage from multiple sites for the dropping of an HEDT or mainstream product.

While Anand is good and in depth, their coverage isn't the same as STH, which dives really deep, showing a 2Ux4 node 2017 Intel system can now be replaced with a single AMD node.

So, read the coverage before saying such things.

hmscott likes this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    all people needed to know is that intel's only advantage in avx512 is gone. but sure you can link them to phoronix as they do linux stuff, which has nothing to do with us consumers unless you plan to run linux and purchase eypc.

now we shall wait to see how and what zen4 bring to desktop might be able to beat intel, or intel can make a return with tigerlake when zen4 becomes available. in consumer space intel technically has the advantage due to monolithic design for overall cpu + ram latency as well as high clocks, for 14nm++ anyway. tigerlake should be on 10nm++ so i expect fierce competition between amd and intel. highest clock + highest ipc is the way to go, cheaper and more cores and extra power saving i consider them as big bonus too.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I titled this thread as showing, also, Epyc vs Xeon. And I don't think you understand exactly how much these details matter to those interested in the topic. The only difference is I did not editorialize or analyze the articles, instead allowing them to stand on their own.

Hell, if you read the STH article, you might have focused on their analysis suggesting the performance gap is so great that TCO for many customers is so much lower that it even can beat Intel on per core licensing because of the energy savings, rack reductions, etc. Think about that! Acquisition costs plus costs of running it and ROI make it so that even taking a hit on per core licensing makes AMD the better deal and that argument will likely NOT save Intel. That is even more crazy than the AVX512 news!!!

hmscott and rlk like this.