Ryzen based laptops that aren't kneecapped at the factory?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by intok, May 23, 2018.

1. intok

intok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Open source drivers are a must, as is security, Intel chips have a new deeper than root level exploit every few weeks and the patches to mitigate them all cause a good sized performance hit, each. What is the total net loss in performance with them all enabled because Intel it telling OEMs to ship the microcode patches installed but disabled to keep the benchmarks looking good.

Any word on if there will be an updated version of the GL702ZC with the 2*** series Ryzen CPUs?

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Someone posted in the GL702ZC thread Asus response on the matter, and to summarize, they stated that the future BIOS revisions will include security fixes, but no support for Ryzen+ (I don't think anything was commented on Zen 2 however).
    This is quite rude of Asus to limit GL702ZC CPU upgrade path in such a fashion (and unless they change their practices down the line, I don't think I will be buying any new laptops from them).

While Ryzen 1700 is no slouch and will definitely be quite capable for some time to come for both gaming and productivity, I would have appreciated upgrade path to at least Zen 2 (as that would definitely signify a much better upgrade in terms of CPU speed, assuming AMD retains the core amount and raises the clocks by 40% as allowed by the 7nm manuf. process - that and unknown IPC gains).

I really don't see what Asus has to lose by providing a microcode update to Ryzen+ and Zen 2... it would make it an even more attractive laptop for many people.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You need to ask to speak to a supervisor or program manager, as the default is to not put in support for future CPU's since for years they have had only soldered BGA CPU's. This is new territory for them and their thinking needs to grow into the new options.

This will be the same for all vendors until they get "re-trained". :)

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Whenever I asked to be put through supervisor or program manager, no one ever did. How would I go about with such a request?
    Phone won't work as customer services are limited and don't have that option (I tried). As for sending them an inquiry... what would you suggest to write in order to get in direct contact to the program manager?

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not over phone, via ticketing interface, ask to forward your request to a supervisor or program manager. This is a decision that can't be made at the 1st level ticket support, so it has to be passed up the chain.

And, remember the world is a changing place for them too. Keep asking every few weeks, or month, and they will hopefully be more receptive later than they are the first time you ask.

Hopefully some vendor will do this first, so you can quote them as an example to another vendor.

It might not be until another generation Ryzen AM4 laptop comes out that they start competing with each other over advantages like upgradeable CPU BIOS updates.

Good thing Acer is shipping Ryzen + Vega, hopefully more will follow.

You might be tempted to ask Asus 2 questions in the same request, when is Asus going to match Acer by releasing a Ryzen 2700 + Vega 56 laptop and asking about the BIOS updates. Might be worth a try to suggest one or the other, or one follows another... or make independent tickets for each question, which is what I usually suggest.

Sometimes multiple questions distract or allows them to only answer one question, but sometimes the synergy of both questions hits some button and you get a better response.

Let us know how it works out :)