Ryzen 7 4800H overheating in games!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by weareandrei, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Thermalright TFX, ICD, Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, Gelid GC-Extreme, Kryonaut Extreme, Coolermaster Master Gel. See if you can get the one in bolded text. I prefer Liquid metal (Grizzly Conductonaut) but if you go that route then read you up. Search Liquid metal in the forum. Put in @Papusan @Mr. Fox @Falkentyne in your search. Here is a link for you to start with http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nd-apply-traditional-and-liquid-metal.806840/

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll say do another repaste with a different brand. i might have to do the same eventually because lately when playing games my temps will spike as high to 97C but then drops back down in the 70C - 80Cs range and my GPU temps reached to the low 70Cs even with the overclock so i think its fine. I repasted with SYY-157 about 2 months ago and i probably didnt put enough on the CPU i guess, I dont wanna repaste the GPU too since the temps on it are fine.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thermalright TFX would be the best to use.
    Depending on the CPU die, I'd recommend using the X method of thermal paste application on a square die... and a line method on a rectangular die.

That should work fine.

5. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Phoenix

Update: I decided to do another repaste especially on the CPU and i got it right this time. I used the line method instead of the rice grain method on the CPU and there was a massive difference. When running Cinebench R23 i ended up with a score of 11660 and my CPU temps only reached to 92C when running on performance mode. I would suggest to repaste again with MX-4 if it'll make a difference or use a different brand.

6. Phoenix

Reputations:
    That's awesome. I'm more curious about your heatsink tighening method than your paste method.

7. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nothing special. After putting the heatsink back on i press on it and then tighten the screws 1-6, for modern heatsinks it's normally fine but to be completely sure you have even pressure you can do 1 full turn on each screw and repeat until they're fully tight.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Reputations:
    You must have gotten really lucky and positioned your heatsink in just the right place... I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can only score 10,000 on cinebench and my cpu is thermal throttling. I've repasted at least 6 times.

9. Phoenix

Reputations:
    I ordered a new heat-sink from lenovo and have some grizzly kryonaut on the way... I'll report the results here in a few days.

Hopefully it fixes my thermal problem.

10. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Im not sure about that, i usually put it in right every time. This time i used more paste and the line method and it worked out better than i hoped. Even in games my CPU temps only reached to 87C after an a hour of playing RDR2. You could try spreading the paste on the CPU dye until its fully covered. Like i said i used SSY-157 thermal paste which i heard it was a good paste, I hope your new heatsink and paste will help solve it.