Ryzen 7 4800H overheating in games!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by weareandrei, Feb 9, 2021.

1. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its not as the RTX 2060 version uses the cooling system as the 1660ti version. Even with the 115w RTX 2060 you have it wouldnt overheat.

I watched videos on youtube of people playing games like Cyberpunk 2077 with the same specs as you and their temps remain stable. I still suggest if you're still within the return window you can return it for another unit or do a repaste.

2. Landinel

Landinel Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the legion 5 with ryzen 7 and the rtx 2060 and my thermals are good. Normally between 70-80 C° (in summer will be high) in performance Mode with games like control,metro,mass efect Andrómeda.. Always have the laptop raised as in a base so that it takes air.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Legion 5 Ryzen 7 4800H 1660ti Model goes to 100c in performance mode on Cinebench multicore benchmark.

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    And what's the 'score' @ 100C? Is it being thermally throttled by the high temps? If not, use a laptop stand/fan/cooling solution and enjoy the top performance possible that Lenovo allows, while giving you some heat relief.

CPUs are rated for 100C+ for a reason. If your model allows you to get to the maximum (safely), take advantage of it. And if the 'score' is as high as possible, then that means that the cooling design/system was properly thought out.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Phoenix

Reputations:
    I'm scoring 11467 (multicore) on Cinebench... Doesn't appear to be thermal throttling.

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  7. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cinebench is gonna make your CPU reach temps like that because its making your CPU run at 100% usage especially on Performance mode which makes your CPU use more wattage. My score is around 11200 which is great for a 4800H and your score is higher than mines so you got lucky in the silicon lottery lol. Anyways if you want lower the temps somewhat you can clean the fans and heatsink and maybe do a repaste of the CPU and GPU as well.

8. Phoenix

Reputations:
    I wish you would have commented sooner, I ended up opening the case and repasting with MX-4 now I'm only scoring 10,300 in cinebench and I accidentally broke off a couple plastic clips from the back cover... Lol... Not sure what to do to get my CPU back to 11,000... I thought repasting was suppose to improve thermals by replacing the cheap paste Lenovo uses in the factory... Ugh....

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Mx-4 thermal paste aint a good option for laptops. And you aren't the only one that experience this:)

10. Phoenix

Reputations:
    What would you recommend?

Papusan likes this.