Ryzen 7 4800H overheating in games!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by weareandrei, Feb 9, 2021.

1. weareandrei

weareandrei Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I recently got my new Laptop Lenovo Legion 5 (RTX2060, Ryzen 7 4800H, 16gb, Full hd, 1126 gb SSD). And everything is great except for the insane overheating in many games (especially in demanding games). The GPU is doing great

So these are the games I have tried yet:
    Metro Exodus, Devil May Cry 5, Apex Legends, Injustice 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Frostpunk, Battlefront 2 ...

I know that the GPU is supposed to be heating less than the CPU, but why is the CPU so hot compared to my GPU??

The temperatures are sometimes as high as 95 degrees! When the GPU may be like 75... Is there something wrong with my CPU or is this normal?

I was also trying to undervolt it in the Ryzen Master but it is only working with the desktop CPUs. So is there a way to do so? :(

In Rainbow Six actually, my temperature even got as high as 100 degrees even though it is so much less demanding compared to games like Metro, Battlefront 2, and so on...

Thank you, Guys!

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Rainbow Six uses AVX2 iirc and actually uses many threads so "much less demanding" is improper especially when many people technically play the game at half resolution unless that setting has changed since I played it.

You may want to consider repasting the laptop, generally good practice anyways as manufacturers cant seem to manage it at scale.

Next time you have a couple of soda's save the caps and use them to prop the laptop up so it can breathe more efficiently.

dmanti and Tenoroon like this.
  3. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I play siege quite often and my 6700hq hits around 95-97 degrees C, its normal for siege to be super CPU bound. Do as Reciever says and repaste the laptop if the temps stay the same or get worse. Some laptops are just pasted bad out of the factory.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. weareandrei

weareandrei Newbie

Reputations:
    But that can't make such a big difference. I mean I watched dozens of reviews on youtube and they all said that my build will have around 80-85 degrees on the CPU, not 90-95! Is it for sure that my CPU is fine? (They didn't change the thermal paste on youtube on their laptops)

5. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What fan profile are you using? I found that the balanced fan mode gives me the best thermal results while not annoying me with fan noise. I have run several benchmarks (linked in my signature) that show I can maximize performance without thermal issues. Only tweaking besides fan profile are GPU.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To add, I use MSI Afterburner to mod my Voltage-Frequency curve so that I can run 1650 mHz sustained without either thermal or power limit throttling.

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yes, it can.

I dont care what reviews say on youtube, I have no idea what laptops, cooling, or profiles they may be using. If your CPU wasnt "fine" it wouldnt POST. Lastly your laptop is not their laptop, they are separate units even if its the same model, more to the point, they likely got review samples which tend to get the extra mile that standard units are omitted from.

Troubleshooting with no baseline is not going to get you anywhere.

Tenoroon, Vasudev and saturnotaku like this.
  8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My temps on my Legion 5 are usually in the 70c-80c range when playing games and that when running on performance mode and using stock thermal paste. Your temps are pretty abnormal which tells me it could be a bad paste job or you're blocking the fans and vents. I would say try repasting the CPU and GPU but if you're still within the return window you can return it for another unit.

9. weareandrei

weareandrei Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes but you are using 1660ti wich is a slightly different from my videocard. This may be the case as well...

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    In laptops the power envelope matters more often than the specific GPU die that is included, barring exceptions of course.

KING19 and weareandrei like this.