Rust anyone? *pics*

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by millermagic, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lol, but for all current gen Diesels they can use both fine right?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    They say for a short period of time it will be fine, but if you run LSD very long then you'll plug up the exhaust filters(diesel particulate filter). That usually causes it to heat up and crack, to replace it its about 2.5k. Its illegal to remove them, 1.5k for the owner of the truck and 15k for whoever removed it. Yeah, welcome to america where they take good engineering(cummins) and completely destroy it with restrictions and other crap.

It wasn't required for the to switch to this 'cleaner' system until 2010, but the big 3 started in 07 so they could get a break on the average mpg minimum standard that would be enforced in 2010. If they got enough of their vehicles 'emissions free' then the standard for that company would be more relaxed. Anyways, if it doesn't soot properly then how can it be called a diesel? so I fixed mine. :D

Wow, from rust to emissions, Sorry for the highjack. ;)

3. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    The car only had a 3/36 warranty when new ... and that was in 2001. So it was out of warranty long before the rust started

ever happened to simple mechanical injection? That's what I don't get. I will be searching for a new vhicle soon (this thread points out obvious reasons) and I won't consider one of the computer diesels they have now.

Additionally, if I do get an older diesel, I'm putting a lot of motor oil in the tank - won't hurt it - so it smokes and gets people mad

A truck isn't as bad as there is a full frame. You'll have body rust and maybe lose a few body mounts - but the structural integrity is still there.

This car ... yeah. What you can't see in the pictures is the mounts for the strut tower ... I'm half expecting to hit a bump and see the strut towers go through the decklid!

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've also got a 1993 12V 5.9L cummins, its all mechanical and very strong still, even after 400k miles. The 12V 5.9L went from 89-95, after that they switched to the 24V and thats when they started adding the computer systems in, and from there they've just gotten more and more complex.

But of course with vehicles that old you don't have to worry about meeting the current emissions standards, so they don't have any DPF so you can run whatever fuel you want in it, including oil.

5. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    After college I'm going to try to get a CUCV. I heard one of the bases around here is going to be auctioning a bunch ... although they will probably be as rusty as my car. Mechanical injection 6.2 ftw

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    No place where the roads are salted, no place within 500 miles of an ocean or other body of saltwater... in other words, nowhere in the USA, well maybe a small strip of the bible belt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.