Running Windows without anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by micman, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. briensmith

briensmith Newbie

Reputations:
    The most-efficient replacement to an anti-virus is to use a Windows account without administrative privileges on a daily basis. Most malware can't and won't work properly if they have a restricted access to system files and the registry.

I've been using Windows for years with no anti-virus software and I haven't been harmed. Theses are the rules I recommend:

* Use a limited user account on Windows daily
    * Use a separate administrative account for software installs and maintenance
    * If you don't want to use a separate account, try tools like DropMyRights or suDown
    * Keep your OS up-to-date
    * Keep your browser up-to-date
    * Keep your browser plugins up-to-date (Flash is regularly a malware vector due to security holes)
    * Restrict JavaScript and ads on your browser with tools like NoScript and Adblock

thanks

3. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is blasphemy. We all know you need 3 simultaneous A/V's, a couple software firewalls, and UAC on maximum "are you sure you want to use your computer" settings, AND a shady assassin watching over you.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Account privileges are not a solution that replaces an antivirus... plenty of malware can run within user rights.

5. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    Honestly, I'm thinking about running without an A/V

Benefits:
    Less Ram Consumption
    Faster Startup
    More Battery Life
    No more annoying updating

Risks:
    Of course, all those nasties that you can acquire without an av (Though a thorough and full scan with Malwarebyte's will find the problem and fix it. Why I think so? A few months back, I lent my friend my computer and he managed to acquire a virus. At the time, I was running Avast Antivirus. Avast was giving me red alerts saying that Malicious content was detected. I ran a full system scan on all the drives and Avast said everything was fine and that the system was protected. I installed and ran Malwarebyte's in attempt to remove the virus. With a simple quick scan and in less than 5 minutes, the virus was found and removed. Lesson: Never lend a mac user your windows PC :p)

Now, I do plan to have some sort of software that will help me remove any type of virus such as Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Windows Firewall will always be on. Mozilla Firefox with ad-block plus, no script, and WOT. Perhaps Sandboxie for additional protection. Has anyone tried this? Managed to acquire a virus? Was battery life and start up improved? I understand that improvements are not significant and the risks outweigh the advantages but if I don't install any software (Other than games I purchase through trusted and official retailers) How will I acquire a virus?

6. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    if you don't connect to the outside world, you don't need antivirus.

If your connection to the outside world is limited(say browsing only), it may actually be safer to sandbox that in an VM than having anti-virus on the hosting(work horse).

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Using a VM is definitely great protection but it's hardly practical

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    This is a great first post IMO. I would just add anti-virus software to what you're saying. For me its MSE and Malwarebytes paid version.

9. agroovywalrus

agroovywalrus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been using MSE and Malwarebytes...no problems as of yet.

10. Aeris

Aeris Otherworldly

Reputations:
    Personally, I would not recommend using Windows without at least a degree of protection (Basic, even).

Why?

Sometimes, becoming struck by Malware is unavoidable, mainly because of the advent of new technologies (such as Clearclick).

Malware is on constant evolution as well, and with new technologies, there may be new ways for it to exploit its way into your system without your knowledge.

Anti-Malware software and measures should be chosen carefully, however, it narrows down to your personal necessities, activities and preferences.

There are several Anti-Malware solutions out there, some are resource-friendly, others, not quite, and there are also, several free alternatives.

For example, I use a software and hardware approach with freeware-only solutions, listed below:

Operative System: Windows 7 64-Bit Service Pack 1 (Up-To-Date and with a trimmed down Services list.)

Anti-Virus: AVIRA Free & Threatfire.

Firewall: COMODO Firewall (Internet + OS) & Router Firewall.

Anti-Spyware: SpyBot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spyware Blaster and ThreatFire (Active).

Anti-Rootkit: Hijack This!

Web Browser: Firefox 8.0 (Addons: NoScript, Cookie Monster, Ghostery, Firebug, ProxyTool, AdBlock Plus, FoxyProxy, BetterPrivacy and Click&Clean) with Spyware Immunization lists and JonDoFox profile.

Proxy: TOR and JonDonym.

You should not, however, just install a bundle of software and forget. (A not quite so uncommon thought among dis-informed computer users.)

Prevention and software are merely additions to your own experience, common sense, knowledge and awareness.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.