Running Windows without anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by micman, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good analogy, but it's more like running without ABS on your brakes. Anti-Virus is a "safety" feature, not something required for your laptop to run. My laptop runs just fine without it.

@laptopnut: can you give an example? Is there one that you use? Like the one Avast has built in? I'm assuming you're referring to something heuristics related, but tell me if I'm wrong.

2. LaptopNut

LaptopNut Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am referring to programs such as System Safety Monitor, Appdefend, Regdefend and any other similar ones. Rapport might be worth using as well. Those security programs never rely on signatures, instead they flag up abnormal behaviour and give you the option to allow or deny. For example, if your browser was trying to execute a program without your initiation or a program was trying to send data over the internet or read the clip board or keyboard.

No matter what malware you are at risk from, all of them will try to do something abnormal in terms of behavior whether it be reading a certain registry key, adding themselves to the start menu or trying to execute a program.

3. michael_recycled

michael_recycled Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I am running my NT-based computers for years without "security software".

My strategy is:
    Never ever do your work with a privileged account.
    Avoid IE6.
    Make sure your system and software has latest patches installed.
    Disable autorun.
    Avoid Adobe Reader and use Flash only if necessary.

Occasionally, I scan the systems with a live CD, and up to now the systems looked clean.

At the moment I am using Firefox together with Adblock+ (many malware comes with hijacked ad servers, so you are absolutely not safe if you only surf on MSN, Yahoo or the NYT. Pr0n sites are sometimes safer :D ) and Flashblock plugins. Also I am using Opera with "plugins" disabled, Javascript disabled with some sites whitelisted.

And I am experimenting with Software Restriction Policies. Together with restricted user accounts, any malware will be prevented from being executed in case your klicky finger was too nervous :D

Michael

4. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    You might be interested in the 'Safe-Admin' project.
    Check out the details on WildersSecurity.com link

5. michael_recycled

michael_recycled Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Michael

6. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Awesome, this is interesting! Thanks!

7. decaPODA

decaPODA Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :) safe browsing in chrome / ff equipped with wot +adblock helps a lot keeping threats away.. only problem is the USB drive. i simply can't plug any drive without scanning it full with avast free home edition and malwarebytes.

if i take out the usb problem..then i dont think i would be requiring any AV for my normal day uses (but how normal they would be without my USB drives :/ )

not having AV helps keeping system speed great. but having 4gigs of memory(which is a normal scene now-a-days), i wouldn't think much about the performance( AV eats ram..am i right? ). and whats the fun if i cant go to suspicious sites (you-know-what-all :p ) and have some fun with my AV taking care of normal threats :)

@mic , do you ever face any problem with USB drives ? (i think i might have skipped some pages while reading this thread :p )

8. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why would there be a problem with USB drives? There are no issues that I am aware of, unless you have set the drive to automatically execute Autoruns.

9. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I ran Windows 7/Windows XP without AV for a while without any problems. It can be done presuming you have some internet smarts and use a secure browser such as Firefox with AdBlockPlus and NoScript.

Although I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a while now because it's a very lightweight and non-intrusive free anti-virus/anti-spyware solution from Microsoft and since my system can spare the few resources, I just have it as a secondary safety measure.

Nothing can beat internet, computer and common sense smarts when it comes to preventing viruses on your PC.

10. decaPODA

decaPODA Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lOl ..didnt mean a problem specific to USB drives.. i meant USB drives being the best carriers for viruses, malware, crapware etc. i just had to post a new thread regarding the same in the forum last night .. :) finally formatted the USB stick to get rid of whatever the problem was there.

well, how would you make sure when you insert a USB stick in your comp that whether its infected or not or ll infect your PC or not ..??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.