Running Windows without anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by micman, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's not possible. Unless you have set your computer to autoatically run whatever that Flash drive offers, plugging it in cannot hurt you, ever. In your case, all that happens is that your AV software scans the drive on plugin, and alerts your to the presence of viral software. However, the fact that there is such software on the drive won't hurt you one bit.

It may be worth emphasizing the following simple truth: On a properly patched and updated Windows system running in its secure default configuration, the only way to get a virus is to install it. It's as simple as that, despite all of those scary fairy tales about how viruses infect systems "without the user doing anything", or "by just browsing the web".

2. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Those are all mistakes. Well, IE may be a matter of taste, but there's nothing wrong with it. You should always log in as a standard user, and you should have UAC turned on. If it "drives you up the wall", then there is something wrong with the way you use your computer. I have UAC set to its highest setting, and I never, ever, see a prompt.

3. LaptopNut

LaptopNut Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Considering the power of today's processors and systems, I see no reason to worry about the impact of running Antivirus software. I used to think it would slow down my gaming laptop but before and after install I notice absolutely no difference. It is very easy to underestimate the power of our systems or to overestimate the impact of running Antivirus software like I used to.

Even the safest Drivers wear seat-belts.

4. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah! Me neither - never yet seen a prompt from UAC.

5. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I run Win7 with UAC off, defender off, updates on. All my web browsing is through Firefox with NoScript. Havn't had a virus since XP(2+ years).

6. merlin_72032

merlin_72032 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How do you know that you don't have virus since you don't have anything to tell you if you have gotten one? How do you know if your machine is being compromised then? Just curious.

7. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's really interesting to see how many differences there are in the way people use Windows. I guess if anything this just proves that there is no exact method or standard of use that can help every user avoid viruses. In other words, to each his own. Maybe I can stay away from viruses with my method, but it might not work for my grandparents or my cousin from Texas, for example. Some people may need tighter security, some might not need as much.

I suppose that's the reason Microsoft made UAC adjustable in Windows 7 in the first place. While you may not get prompts in your daily use, I find it very annoying since every time I want to update a program like Ccleaner or Glary utilities, UAC asks me if I want to continue or cancel. Well, UAC, if I didn't want to perform that action, I wouldn't have opened the executable in the first place thank you very much.

It's the same annoyance as exiting a game. I click "Exit Game," and the game asks, "Are you sure?" I prefer not to be doubted by anyone, and coming from a man-made machine it is just as or more annoying. So you may say I'm not running a secure environment, but my conscience provides all the User Account Control I need. Every action I perform in my Operating System is on purpose. I always accept the consequences of my actions in Windows. That is why I don't need UAC.

I also agree with those saying that security measures don't affect performance of today's modern platforms. I've said from the beginning of this thread that my purpose began as an experiment. I'm not obligating you to try the same thing. If anything this is the best test of what Microsoft keeps trying to sell Windows 7 on, better security than previous Operating Systems.

Really the only reason I have such little security and as few running programs as possible is that I love how clean the interface looks this way. I organize my laptop much like I organize my desk. Everything has a place and the working surface stays clean. I could just as easily have a cluttered space and a messy user interface, but this how my brain can most easily organize things.

I really do think that my performance is increased because of my micro-management, but the increase might be so slight it can't be noticed. Only extensive testing with similar systems could ever tell. I also realize that my gaming performance is in no way improved. But that has never been my goal in reducing security measures on my system.

8. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't speak for nikeseven, but I just did a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware fresh install, update and scan, which revealed that no objects on my system are infected. I subsequently uninstalled the program. Can't leave any AV software running or the experiment is invalid.

9. merlin_72032

merlin_72032 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you just go to Yahoo.com, MSN.com or ESPN.com, you don't need any antivirus software for the rest of your life. Come on, you know that most of the users do more than that. Am I right?

I can have backup server runs without antivirus all year because it doesn't go anywhere on the network beside one destination. Well, let me know how it goes. I am curious as well that how long you would last without antivirus software. For me, I just don't take chance to save one process on the OS.

10. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I monitor resource usage, network usage, startup programs, etc. Anything browsing of less than safe sites, or those who utilize possibly dangerous flash ad's are blocked via NoScript. I've run Malwarebytes if I sense a system slowdown of any type, but I haven't found anything beyond some tracking cookies for atleast 6 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.