Running Windows on a Mac: Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop & VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Sam, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Da Man

Da Man Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My rMBP 13 is running very hot under Windows. I've tried to install Intel DPTF, but the installer told me, that my hardware isn't supported. Did anyone knows, how to make Windows run cooler on rMBP?

2. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    How hot?

3. Da Man

Da Man Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very hot. I cannot hold it on my laps

4. scherzbrah

scherzbrah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i am pretty sure i've decided to get a macbook 15 w/ nvidia as I can't find any newer ultrabook/gaming windows notebooks that aren't using intel's 7260 wireless card which i can't stand. I'm aware that battery life as well as trackpad are two issues running windows through bootcamp. How bad is the trackpad exactly..Can i use two finger scroll? That's about the only gesture I use. Aside from that, I've read a lot about the 15 w/ nvidia getting really hot and throttling in windows, and even getting really hot in os x just doing casual surfing. Does anyone have any input on this?

5. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have never had my MacBook Pro w/Nvidia 750M get hot while generally surfing using OS X. It does get kind of hot while using a VM though, so that is something to consider.

6. BaoTCP

BaoTCP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It shouldn't be this bad. Are you sure you're not having background programs eating your CPU usage? I have the Late 2013 MBPr 15 bootcamped with windows 7 x64 running graphic intensive software, it never goes beyond 75C

7. AlexSSE

AlexSSE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Gents,

I'm planing to run Windows VM through Parallels with some heavy programs.I am concerned about some UI in Mac OS. How smooth will be user experience? I've heard that late macbook pro 13 still have some issues with UI due to Retina display. Is this true?

8. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Depends on what you run, a VM is always a bit slower than native. I was playing with a windows 7 image and some of my autodesk animation applications and the redraws were very jerky.

9. AlexSSE

AlexSSE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it annoy you or does it happen some times so you can leave and work with it? The VM will run Windows Server, MS CRM, Visual Studio, SQL Server. I hoped that Apple's SSD can handle it and even 12 Gb RAM should be enough (going with 16 GB in total ) I was inspired by this article. Though I'm considering the 13' version and I've figured out that it still have some user experience issues due internal GPU not being able to handle the Retina resolution..

10. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    PM Sent so we don't clutter up the thread too much