Running Windows on a Mac: Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop & VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Sam, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure you'll get consensus on that question. I run Fusion but I typically don't care much about "best" performance. As long as the VM isn't a dog and works well, I am quite happy. Fusion runs very well on the rMBP.

2. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    I've tried running Windows 7 as a VM on both Fusion and Parallels. Both actually perform quite well, but I give Fusion the edge for a better gaming experience through a VM. The biggest factor that will drive your experience is if your VM is sitting on a solid state drive along with a decent amount of RAM as well.

I recently upgraded my MBP 13 (2010) to a 256 GB SSD alongside 8 GB of memory and it performs admirably running Windows 7 as a virtual machine. I tend to leave the VM running most of the time. I run Visual Studio on it and the machine is able to handle it nicely.

Current setup of my VM is like this: 1 core assigned with 4 GB memory, and a 100 GB virtual disk.

I tried assigning both cores to the VM but thats when problems occurred. One core is recommended for dual-core machines.

3. Yue Wang

Yue Wang Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your article.I want to buy a rmbp 13 recently.I am a engineering student so there are many softwares that I have to run under the windows os. Is it smooth to run windows os with a 13.3 rmbp?

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then a Windows laptop is what you want. For professional applications, consider a professional-grade machine, such as the HP EliteBook or Dell Latitude.

5. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've been using a MacBook Pro 15" Retina to run some selective applications on Windows 7 via Parallels Desktop (Coherence mode). The experience is "smooth" with the hardware resources given to it.

Or, you could use Boot Camp and dedicate the whole machine directly to Windows and its applications. This is the case where you love the design, screen quality and fit-and-finish excellence of a MacBook Pro 13" Retina.

Now, if you have "many" applications that you "have to run under Windows," another approach is to buy a Windows notebook, such as Dell XPS 13, Dell XPS 14 or Lenovo ThinkPad T430.

6. shriek11

shriek11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How can one install Windows 7 using boot camp with an external blu-ray drive? I have a secondary (actually primary HDD that was replaced by an SSD) in the optibay so no internal dvd drive there.

Ok, so I used imagburn to make a bootable Windows 7 install cd and I verified it in my Sony laptop and a tablet pc (had to play with boot options) and it does work. Now, when I pop it in after partition the SSD drive (primary drive) into two parts (70 gb for Mac , 50 gb for Windows) and then restart through bootcamp, I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

I googled and then installed rEFDit and after a restart, rEFDit appears after pressing the option key at start and tried installing windows from the DVD and a small partition (a second partition aside from the bootable partition) and I am still getting a blinking cursor on the screen. I made a USB drive using the Windows 7 usb tool on my Vaio and it isn't even bootable on my sony computer. I wonder if it because the ISO file was altered with the bootmgr.efi file made "bootable" in imageburn before the DVD was made that is causing the issue? I thought that it would actually help since doesn't the computer need a bootable EFI file even in a usb drive?

I haven't run the USB drive in my Macbook Pro yet, but I doubt that it would work if it isn't working in my PC. I seriously hate how Apple locks down this $hit all in all to make more profit. So much for being user friendly. Is my only choice to buy an external super drive now?

7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    actually no, you are doing wrong things you get wrong results.

if you are going to use EFI, you dont use bootcamp, since it emulates the bios.

that was your problem, this was made to simplify things and it has been kept since win xp days, they should have removed that by now

but in the end, do this

get the MS usb tool let it do its job and voilla its going to work

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you're going to use EFI, yes. If you're going to use Boot Camp, you need to put the SuperDrive back into the computer and install from a DVD.

9. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    i can do that without the superdrive, I install windows via USB

10. shriek11

shriek11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have an Air because the Mac didn't even recognize the USB. I have read that apple disables the USB option if you don't have an iMac or an Air i.e. devices that don't come standard with optical drives.