Runcore T50 6Gb/s 120GB Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Nemix77, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The only TRUE representation is NO VENDOR wants to OEM the drive after it has been 15 months+ on the market and that serveral retailers HAS REMOVED them from their list !

Your or mine thought doesn't matter as it has no monetory impact by talking, vendors like Dell or retailers do as it means cost to them to handle failure returns etc. not to mention reputation.

2. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've already asked on another thread if anyone knows if Crucial or Samsung plans on releasing a mSATA SSD with higher capacity than 80GB and the answer was pretty much no or unconfirmed ATM thus the reason I'm looking into SF based mSATA SSD's.

The only other manufacturer I know that has a mSATA SSD coming out that is larger than 80GB is SanDisk which uses their own controller which is just as bad a SF IMO because it's not been end user test approved. Besides this fact the SanDisk is a hybrid MLC and SLC and the IOPs read/write numbers doesn't look too spectacular compared to even a Intel 310, reason being it probably uses SLC NAND as cache similar to the Momentus XT with slower MLC chips as the main.

Just in the case I do go SandForce, would a 2100 or 2200 series controller be better in the terms of less problematic?

3. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    it has nothing to do with series.

Go over to OCZ/Corsair support forum then search your specific model, i mean the notebook(or model similar to yours). If you don't hit anything, you have a better chance of 'i am ok with SF' case. If you find anyone similar, read and determine. I have seen people have multiple return/RMA and still face the same issues.

I cannot common on size(don't know what you use them for) but don't believe SF IOPs as Intel G2 already has a very high number which normal usage can't even feel the difference.

4. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Samsung only plans to make their PM800 mSATA available through oem channels and you may find it on Ebay as that has always been a popular venue for Samsung drives. Samsungs is a 128GB and reviewed where the first of this post was reviewed.

There will be other mSATAs coming out by AData and Mach Xtreme but they are again SF-2281 drives. Other than Intel, there are no plans by other manufacturters, Intel remaining with the released 310.

5. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've decided again to just play it safe and stay with the Intel Paint Creek, NewEgg is out of stock on the Intel 310 which a usually as sign that they are getting ready to stock the new models within a few weeks.

I expect Intel hopefully makes an official announcement sometime next week regarding the new 25 nm mSATA SSD's.

6. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i just got my runcore t50 120gb and it did not work in my dell precision 4600. drive was not detected in the msata slot. works with the supplied sata adapter but that defeats the purpose of msata

7. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's sucks, can you still return the drive?

I'm not sure if has to do with the RunCore T50 being SATA-3.

If you're into SandForce mSATA with high capacity, OCZ has a lineup called Nocti that uses the SandForce SF-2181 controller coming out very soon.

You might want to check out the OCZ if you're able to return the RunCore.

8. suddo30

suddo30 Newbie

Reputations:
  9. blinder

blinder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you cant return the runcore and you're in the UK give me a shout - I might take it off your hands.

10. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'm in australia so that doesnt help.
    but the company i bought it off seems great. they are trying to figure out if anything can be done to get it running and if not i can get a refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.