Rumored TGP of Nvidia cards

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by yosv211, Aug 30, 2020.

1. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nvidia looks amazing and I wish my GT72 lived to pass the baton to it. From the numbers provided, I can see even the 3060 surpassing the consoles in raw power and with 1080p being adequate for 15"-17" screens and DLSS 2.0 being voodoo, laptops look to be in an OK place. Not benchmark stars, but good work mules.

Power and heat is a concern, thin-n-lights are not going to fair well. Maybe we need a 3-fan design [1CPU/2GPU]. Maybe GDDR6x can make it through the mobile RTX line to offset reductions elsewhere.

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The sample population in question is "performance laptop buyers" not generic "laptop buyers". I doubt only 1% of people buying a high performance laptop are willing to carry around 10+ pounds. People who want performance are inherently willing to compromise on other factors whether it be size/cost/weight etc. Where's your data to back up that claim?

To the average human, a 10lb carry weight will NOT break their back. Ludicrous sensationalism.

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I said, and meant 'all laptop buyers'. I never restricted the sample population at all, and I have no idea where you got this from.

It won't, yes; I was exaggerating to prove a point. Fact remains that 4.5 kg is extremely heavy for a laptop (like it or not) and such a laptop will not sell well, and is likely to be produced and marketed as a halo product (which some are: AW Area 51M, P870TM, the new Clevo, MSI GT76 Titan). This list is not exhaustive, but I'm quite certain I can count the DTRs that have been released in the past half decade on two hands, maximum, whereas there are hundreds of ~2kg notebooks that have been released from 2015-2020.

seanwee and Prototime like this.
  4. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's the exact problem with your point though. If you look at the population of ALL laptop buyers, the vast majority are not interested in performance machines. Collectively, the vast majority of laptop buyers are purchasing laptops for office work, school work, multimedia entertainment, etc - not gaming or other heavy workloads. Since these consumers would never buy a performance laptop at all (and we are talking exclusively about the size and weight of performance laptops), it is not fair to include them in the sample size of consumers willing to live with a 10lb performance laptop because they are not the target market for performance machines of any weight to begin with. Your point is a distortion of reality.

I'm not going to make numbers up on the spot, but I guarantee the percentage of people in the market for a performance machine who are willing to live with 10lbs+ machines is much higher than 1%. My evidence is, if this weren't the case, then extremely high performance bulky laptop designs wouldn't exist in the numbers that they do. It would not be worth the effort for companies to invest in the R&D, design, manufacture, and marketing for such complex and expensive machines for 1% of an already niche (performance laptop) market.

ratchetnclank likes this.
  5. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My solar array is 600w but most of the time is only produces around 350-450w depending on the angle of the sun. Most of I've seen it produce is 537w. Plus you have inverter conversion loss, lithium battery loss. Total loss is around 15-20% of total solar production, its my reason for a huge lithium battery bank of 500ah at 12v.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would bargain that buying those large bulky laptops with desktop class CPU and GPU are still in the 1% or less range of all sold GAMING laptops. Lets not even bring in the people who don't care about gaming.

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have no problem carrying around a 10lb DTR, and I say this as a small 5’8” 130lb guy (though I am young and in phenomenal shape), it’s the ridiculous dual power supply requirements these days that annoy me. But I understand chunky laptops aren’t for everyone, I just happen to prioritize performance.

Aroc, Papusan and Clamibot like this.
  8. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My laptop weights like 10 Kg (22 lb) including both power supply, and I don't care. I only take it out of home like once or twice at year. I also have a small laptop which is suitable for work office and is easy to travel with. Now that's big brain

I would have a desktop PC but I don't like the fact that you need so much cable, and it so much pain in the butt to move it around the house. That's why a desktop replacement is perfect to me and I don't care if it is heavy or bulky

of course this kind of laptop is not for everyone

hfm likes this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That totally makes sense. I wish I had a nice gaming laptop back when Doom released (Yes.. 1993). I used to throw my desktop (CRT MONITOR LOL) into my car and drive to a friends house every Saturday night and we'd play LAN games all night. Like 5 or 6 of us at least all brought our computers over. Beer.. food... LAN games... good times... (my friend's wife made some killer ****ing burritos.. damn son..)

Man those were the days when we were all looking for the fastest 2D card.. hah .. S3 had some good stuff back then.

NuclearLizard and Prototime like this.
  10. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:

That's my use case for my monster 83. Lol

I go around drop it on a side table or something and hang out a few days with family and friends. Lol