RUMOR: HP getting out of the PC business?

Discussion in 'HP' started by dave1812, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Already? There is no confirmation of a sale. Or HP will sell it even for 1 dollar?

2. abaddon4180

abaddon4180 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HP doesn't have a restocking fee. This news is no reason for anyone who recently bought an HP laptop to return it. Even if they do completely sell off their PC division to a different company, warranties will still be honored and I doubt much would change. I wouldn't worry about resale value, either, at least not anymore than any other PC.

3. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How exactly is it hurting Apple if HP is ruining its own reputation by having an 80% off firesale on a few hundred thousand tablets when Apple is selling tens of millions at full price?

The only one getting hurt is HP. At a time when HP should be trying to boost the public image of its PC division for a potential sale, instead it's conducting the $85/99 Touchpad firesale, sending consumers the message that its liquidating inventory and going out of business.....when it isn't.....or is it?

4. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like I said: "the screen, the touchpad, the keyboard......"

But more than that, the Touchpad firesale leads me to believe that HP management is willing to take very drastic steps. I don't see HP committing to updates for WebOS for any defined period, and I don't see any assurances for Touchpad customers. Is HP going to stockpile spare parts or replacement units when they're liquidating the tablets at $85-99?

I've never seen this sort of panicked liquidation before from a company the size of HP and I wonder about the future of HP. There's nothing reassuring about recent developments.

5. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    I wouldn't mind if a company looking to get into the PC business like HTC purchased HP's PC division. Moreso HTC than Samsung.

Like the Lenovo acquisition of IBM's Thinkpad division back in 2005.

6. abaddon4180

abaddon4180 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For the Touchpad, I agree. Owners are going to have to rely completely on 3rd-party support now and I feel for anyone who bought one from HP when it first came out, though I am sure they can get a refund if they try.

Their PC business is a different story, though. They aren't dropping PC's all together, they are just going to sell or spin-off their PC division. It is going to be the same thing as IBM/Lenovo back in 2005 and there is no reason for anyone who bought an HP laptop to worry

7. PoisonedFire

PoisonedFire Newbie

Reputations:
    I see! Well I think I'll wait for my Envy 14 to deliver here and then see how it goes... Thank you all for giving me suggestions. I appreciate it! XD

8. Archi15

Archi15 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    a new post from the PSG of HP.

HP: A Toast to Opportunity

Either where they go, i'd probably still buy from them.

I really can't see myself buying from sony again nor buying dell products.

9. apichetk

apichetk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The news arrived just a few days after my purchase of Elitebook 8460p. I hope that HP and/or the new owner of the PC business will honor my 3-year warranty. ..So far, 8460p has been a great machine to me. Its built is sturdy and the craftmanship is first-rated.

10. investmenttechnology

investmenttechnology Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope lenovo will acquire HP's pc division.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.