RUMOR: HP getting out of the PC business?

Discussion in 'HP' started by dave1812, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you keep it, you would almost certainly continue to get support through the end of the laptop's warranty, even if you have a 5-year warranty. If you return it, you would definitely lose a restocking fee (15%?). I would just hold on to it.

2. wetwillycf

wetwillycf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HP is not necessarily closing its PC line. They are exploring their options. These options include keeping it, spinning it off, or keeping it. No matter which of these outcomes actually happens, your ENVY will be covered by warranty, you'll receive tech support, and you won't be hung out to dry.

3. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have plenty of reasons to return an Envy 14, namely the screen, the touchpad, the keyboard......you get the picture.

However, there are other less tangible reasons to return your Envy 14, such as resale value. A Macbook Pro has a stellar resale value, but can you say the same thing about an Envy 14? It's not that HP is liquidating its PC line in the same way as the Touchpad, although that's the new public (mis)conception?

Your best bet is to return it.

4. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be honest, I have mixed emotions about HP support. From experience, I'd say its acceptable for a notebook that's only a few hundred bucks, but I wouldn't accept it in the $1,000+ category.

And honestly, we don't know how HP will divest itself of the PC business, but judging by the rapid liquidation of the Touchpad.....the signs aren't positive for people who are concerned about long term support and resale values.

Right now, I'd return an Envy 14. Period.

5. wetwillycf

Reputations:
    Why would you return an ENVY 14?

The rapid liquidation of the Touchpad has thus far only happened in Canada, and that was only at two stores in Canada. Nobody can even say for sure that was ordered by HP either; the closest evidence to suggest that was only a rumor. This rumor, by the way, suggested that the price drops would happen in America starting today too... as I'm typing this, these price drops have not happened here. Thus, that rapid liquidation may not have had anything to do with HP.

HP announced they were discontinuing production of webOS devices. The fate of the Touchpad and other webOS devices is not tied to that of HPs PCs, and vice versa.

I just don't see what bearing this has on tech support. HP is not closing down its PC business, and may or may not be selling it/spinning it off. HP is not going out of business either. Whether or not somebody is happy with his/her level of support from HP will vary based on their personal experience, but what is happening at HP right now will not affect their level of tech support/warranty, for better or for worse.

I'm not even saying I love HP tech support either. I've been a Dell guy for the last 10 years until I got my ENVY last month. So far my experiences with HP tech support have been mixed. I'm just trying to say that I would not expect HP tech support to be affected by their announcements, for better or for worse, and I see all over the place that people are acting as if HP is going out of business or closing off their PC group immediately. Not happening.

6. h3r0

h3r0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

This is clearly false... they are having a fire sale in the U.S. and every retailer is taking part in the liquidation. But on the brightside they are getting strong demand, free PR and flooding the market & hurting Apple all in one graceful move.... One can ever consider it a massive distraction.

7. wetwillycf

Reputations:
    Guess I missed where in America it's happening. I haven't seen it anywhere for less than the regular price, and I've looked at several websites, to include HP's, which says it's out of stock. Perhaps I missed something. Who is liquidating in America?

EDIT: Ok, I stand corrected. I guess everybody who dropped the price in America was sold out before I even rolled out of bed. My bad.

8. atbnet

atbnet Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Most retailers are returning their stock to HP to liquidate. They might have a different agreement in Canada allowing BB to sell at a loss and getting reimbursed by HP.

9. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No worries about Envy 14. I have got 7 years ago a Clevo 17" with no brand at all and was fixed. Besides this are big numbers laptops so components will always be available.

Clap clap!

10. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Already? There is no confirmation of a sale. Or HP will sell it even for 1 dollar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.