RUMOR: HP getting out of the PC business?

Discussion in 'HP' started by dave1812, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    The HP Business machine division is growing and more profitable than the consumer side, although their announcement might hurt that going forward since no IT buyer wants to buy from a company that might abandon them 2-years from now. They'll have to do some damage control with their enterprise customers in the weeks ahead and come up with a good story / explanation of why it's still a good idea to go with HP products. Frankly I think HP should spin off their PC division if they really hate the drag it puts on their stock that much. A separate PC company might be more nimble, and at least free from being treated like the ugly duckling within the company if that's how it is.

2. apichetk

apichetk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the Thinkpad would then be called Elitebook? :D

3. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    Thinkbook?

Elitepad?

^Elite Thinking. :rolleyes:

4. apichetk

apichetk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ThinkElite? :)

5. Tankor

Tankor Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So since their tablets are dirt cheap now ($99) should i pick one up? worth the investment even though there would be no support for it

6. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    That is a matter regarding your intended use for the device. I see no problem if you are looking to just surf the web and listen to music and play with some apps. Just don't expect anything new like updates and applications.

7. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had a fairly low opinion of the HP Touchpad when it was a live and expensive product, but now that it's dead and cheap, I have an even lower opinion.

In life, sometimes it pays to pay for quality. He who buys cheap buys twice. If you want an iPad, get an iPad, don't be tempted by an 80% discount on something you don't really want.

Besides the awful thick, cheap, heavy feel to the Touchpad, not to mention the slow and buggy interface, I noticed a large percentage of display models tend to be inoperative. I really have to wonder about reliability.

The thing that never ceases to amaze me is that despite the heavy use from an interested public, iPad display models always seem to be up and working, and not just in Apple stores, but in big box stores as well.

8. wii

wii IPS Rules

Reputations:
    I just don't understand that HP would announce such plans, now people will be afraid to buy HP, and get something else instead that haven't planned to stop PC production.

9. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There isn't much risk of HP abandoning them. May I point at IBM/Lenovo?

I would prefer that Lenovo not acquire HP Personal Systems Group because there will be less competition in the business space. Lets face it, either Elitebook or Thinkpad needs to go, I'm betting on Elitebook disappearing, but either way from 3 major business notebook companies, there will be 2.

On the topic of buying a TouchPad. I wouldn't go for it. It lacks support. Tablets in general are useless except for a small group of people as it doesn't replace anything and is just a third device sitting between the smartphone and the laptop which shares the worst parts of both imho. I don't know an iPad buyer that is a regular iPad user.

10. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. IBM carefully planned its withdrawal from the PC market, and back in 2005, the PC notebook market was actually growing, not shrinking.

2. Apple is having surprising success in the business market, especially in companies that give their employees a choice between a Mac and a Windows PC for their personal notebook. Apple is succeeding in the business market even without business specific features - go figure.

3. There are plenty of business quality notebooks available, especially from brands that most people forget about in the consumer market. Personally, I think one less brand hardly matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.