RTX v RTX Max Q?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cariblo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

That's what I was thinking, or name them like the GPU they're similar in performance to instead of the one the chip was based on. I understand wanting the naming convention to follow the chip, and also understand that just slapping an M on the end would likely confuse people just as much, but I think what it would gain in user expectation accuracy would be worth it.

TBoneSan, hmscott and jaybee83 like this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Papusan knows. MAX-Q stands for Max-Qriple.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You lack the second P. Otherwise correct:)

ole!!! and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Max-Qwap, or Max-Qrap

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    xD

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Max-q is so unfortunate because it doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's displacing full notebook GPUs. When Pascal came out, nvidia made a big deal about how mobile GPUs had finally reached "near parity" with desktop GPUs (within 10% of their performance) -- such a big deal that the company dropped the "m" from mobile GPU names. And manufacturers were investing resources into making those GPUs work, including in thinner and lighter notebooks. Then nvidia pulls the rug out from under everyone by introducing Max-Q. Now, what incentive do notebook manufacturers have to make the regular "near-parity" notebook GPUs work well? None, because they can just stick an easier, lower-perfoming Max-Q GPU in their notebooks, and most consumers won't know the difference. Indeed, nvidia has even given manufacturers the perverse incentive of obscuring the "Max-Q" part of the name as much as possible so that even educated consumers are tricked into thinking they'll get more performance when they buy a notebook than they actually will.

So is there a place for Max-Q? No. Not for consumers. If nvidia really, really wants to make lower-perfoming cards, then it should be clear about that and call them something completely different, like a "1065" rather than a "1070 max-q." Anything else is unethical trickery and should be condemned by consumers everywhere.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    TBoneSan, jaybee83, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  7. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Nvidia are totally running wild screwing their own customers, desktop and laptop alike. They've grown real good at it over time. There's even little point calling them out for their illogical BS, it is just that, they know it as does anyone who's been around a few gens - the challenge for them is to see how far they can push while collecting $ without major backlash. Nothing will change until people boycott their BS or some competition forces them to pull up.

Prototime, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

Renaming at this point would make a lot of sense. I like the XXX5 idea, or back to "M", just because consumers see "Max" in a name and immediately think "Maximum performance" and do no further checking, while M implies "Mobile" to me and indicates lower performance. I can see several non-conspiracy-to-defraud reasons why they might not want to go this way, but if AMD starts pushing with any seriousness into higher cost mobile platforms, that's going to be a major weak point to attack.

sa7ina, jaybee83, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    here is to hoping! the 5700 cards are actually nice contenders for mobile cards :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

hmscott and joluke like this.
  10. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hope so

hmscott likes this.