RTX v RTX Max Q?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cariblo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's pretty well true. Lol

IIRC a max Q GPU is is the same difference between the desktop GPU and the old mobile GPU.

In all honesty I would like it if they went back to the old M mobile designation for the max Q cards. Made life a bit easier IMO.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    definitely more transparent to the consumer. but because of that, they wont, would be bad for business

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

MahmoudDewy and NuclearLizard like this.
  3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What's worse is that some of laptop manufacturers even omit mentioning that their laptops contain the Max-q versions of the gpus. *Cough* acer *cough*

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  4. NuclearLizard

Reputations:

Cool little video I found.

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Own or
    OWNorDisown probably has the best 2060 vs 2070 Max-Q faceoff imo:

In dual channel the 2070MQ's minimum fps advantage is really impressive in some of the titles tested.

I still wouldn't pay more than $150-$200 for it over the 2060 though.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is apples vs. oranges comparison, just like any garbage comparisons on Notebookcheck. Look at video from Steve at OWNorDisown, this is the only right comparison because Steve uses G5 and G7 both of which have same CPU, same exact cooling system and same RAM (Steve used same RAM he bought in both of them).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Jarrod's video is a realistic comparison between many different laptops that shows the large variance between builds in performance - with the 2060 models beating out the Max-Q 2070 in many things. And, the average between all the 2060 / 2070 Max-Q showing there's not much noticeable difference, even if it's measurable.

2070 Max-Q is worthless next to a good 2060 implementation in laptops. Often the Max-Q "thin and crappy" laptops also have poor CPU performance - which is another reason the performance of the 2070 Max-Q laptops sucks compared for a full performance 2060 laptop.

And, OWNorDisown shows that single channel memory - as in most stock laptops - really kills the 2070 Max-Q performance even further. For the "flipped" motherboard laptops this is a real problem.

$1800 RTX 2060 Laptop v $2400 RTX 2070 Max Q - Single Channel
    OWNorDisown
    Published on Mar 10, 2019
    Most laptop manufacturers ship their RTX gaming laptops with single channel RAM. Some put people off doing upgrades by using warranty stickers and some have the RAM under the mother board like the MSI GS65 Stealth and MSI GS75 stealth making RAM upgrades harder.
    RTX 2060 laptops can be about $600 cheaper than RTX 2070 Max Q laptops, so how do they compare in a single channel configuration?
    I used the Dell 5 RTX 2060 and Dell G7 RTX 2070 Max Q for my tests, both with the same BIOS and 1 x 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM.

IMNSHO, Max-Q sucks, RTX sucks, Nvidia Sucks. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    seanwee, Prototime and jaybee83 like this.
  8. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    To be honest unless people are willing to hack together solutions I doubt we are ever going to see propper apples to apples comparisons.

So the best we can get is to zoom the picture out and look at the averages. Same with those notebook check and user benchmarks.

Everyone disparages it as worthless trash but I think it has merit in seeing how things interact in the wild with average users, because in all honesty in the era of cherry picked review samples and bought off reviewers I'm gonna trust raw data for my comparisons.

After 2 generations of watching the whole MaxP/MaxQ debate it really seems like if you are gonna buy the max Q it's not worth it unless you need some of the secondary or tertiary features.

jaybee83 and Prototime like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The "extra" features, like RTX, are reduced to even lower points of performance as the mobile RTX GPU vs desktop RTX GPU throughput. Tensor / RT cores are reduced in performance - therefore usefulness - across the spectrum of applications.

The reason for Max-Q is to create thin and light laptops that pose as if they are something they are not.

Thin and light laptops without the power and thermal cooling of a "real" laptop suck far more than understood by the average consumer that is just trying to get something cool.

Max-Q is bad enough unto itself, but the costly deceptions enabled by Max-Q are far worse.

What would you expect from Nivdia? Truth and value?

IMNSHO, with RTX and Max-Q Nvidia are purveyors of deceptions meant to trick you out of your money, for a bag of magic beans.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  10. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The comparison by Steve is pretty proper and even if he did not test many games - it shows the rational assumption that a GPU with more shader units would be always faster, provided they are tested in similar conditions and similar cooling system and similar power limit ;-)

Here is another apples-to-apples comparison of Razer Blade 17 with same CPU, same RAM and same cooling system, one with 2060 and the other with 2080 Max-q:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer...t-Compare-to-the-RTX-2080-Max-Q.428425.0.html
    I am actually surprised finding it on Notebookcheck, but unfortunately it is the only one they have.

Not really sure what you mean. Let's say I want to buy Dell G7 or Gigabyte Aero 15, nothing else, and let's say I want a GPU which would be faster than 2060. The only options available in these chassis are 2070 Max-q or 2080 Max-q, due to cooling and physical design limits. Would it still be "not worth" buying? Sure, the price increase is not the same as performance increase when comparing 2060 and 2070 Max-q in same chassis, but if I am willing to pay that price - why would I stay with 2060 if 2070 Max-q is faster in all games in same chassis and I can afford paying for this option?

People still fail to realize the reason Max-q option exists. It is meant to provide an option of having faster GPU with higher performance in same chassis. For that, it works well. Would it matter if the "Max-q" part would be replaced by some other letters or if "2070 Max-q" would be renamed to "2065"? Absolutely not, if you are interested in buying a specific chassis, where the only available options go from 2060 to 2070 Max-q to 2080 Max-q.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019