RTX v RTX Max Q?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cariblo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    replace "slightly" with "quite a bit" and youre good to go there buddy ;)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That’s fine and I’m OK with that .I’m more than happy with what the 2080MQ has to offer performance wise.
    It’s a good fit matched to the rest of the hardware in my laptop.
    I don’t need to chase every last FPS .

3. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It all depends on whether you value raw performance or quiet, lighter units more.

Both have their pros and cons.

IKAS V likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    The problem with the Max-Q will always be that the you are still paying the "Max-P" price, despite the 30% in performance you are losing.

Instead you can save 30% of the money, to get the non-Max Q GPU that is a tier down, whose relative performance you are getting anyway.

Most will do the latter.

Prototime, jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  5. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In terms of price the Max-q is not very desirable. But when it is the only choice - it is worth it. For example, let's say you're buying a Dell G7, and you want the best display which is a 240hz panel (it is better than 144hz option because it has higher contrast ratio and faster response rate, plus it is more power efficient). This display is not available with 2060 GPU. So the only option you have is pay a little bit extra for 2070 Max-q.

hmscott likes this.
  6. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, but aren't you overlooking weight and size? If size and weight are equal, perhaps the full GPU is superior. But a RTX 2080 can't perform in a slim, lightweight laptop as well as an RTX 2080 Max-Q will. For many buyers, this advantage is worth a price premium.

hmscott likes this.
  7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And that is why im trying to flash a max-p 2080 vbios onto my GS75. I've actually tried flashing the max-p vbios onto my GS75. It flashes successfully but the performance isnt there.

Hwinfo64 claims a 150w power draw but measuring the power draw from the wall now its actually lower than before. Clocks are hovering at the 1380 mark which makes me suspect that for some reason gpu boost isnt kicking in.

8. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "For some reason"? You are causing GPU to draw more power than the power circuitry was designed for, I am sure there is a protection beyond the video BIOS values which will not allow GPU to draw power beyond certain limit no matter what.

9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if any hardware restrictions built into the board by msi but I've done quite a bit of research into the power delivery capabilities of the vrm on the GS75.

It's using the same mosfets as the upgraded vrm found on the Alienware Area 51m. The difference is that the 51m has 6 phases while the GS75 has 5 phases.

If the 6 phases on the 51m can handle a 200w rtx 2080, 5 phases will no doubt be able to handle 150w.

I've thought about the power brick being a limiting factor but in that case the worst we'll see is the battery draining when the laptop is under full load, like many gaming laptops of last generation.

10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    The 2080 Max-Q is so restrained that it is performing on the level of the RTX 2060/2070 Maz-Q in some gaming scenarios.

This card in particular is the outlier for me, because it is so nerfed to get it within the thresholds they needed that it's little more than a PR win at times.

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.