RTX v RTX Max Q?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cariblo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Cariblo

Cariblo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome thanks! You've pretty much answered all my questions I had on like 3 forums ha!

I'll look into it, only downside of course is that the Omen seems MASSIVE.

hmscott and NuclearLizard like this.
  2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No problem. I try to help where I can.

And yea you need that chunky boi to cool those RTX cards.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  3. Cariblo

Reputations:
    So most games at the moment aren't optimized for the new RTX cards?

hmscott likes this.
  4. Cariblo

Reputations:
    Cool, maybe i'll lea towards the upgradeable one or find a decent 2060!

hmscott likes this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Generally speaking, newer games/benchmarks, especially those using low-level APIs (DX12/Vulkan) tend to run better on Turing, as do applications running at higher resolutions (1440p/4K) due to Turing's higher memory bandwidth, while older DX11 games/benchmarks and those running at 1080p tend to run better on Pascal.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-GTX-1070-Laptop_9611_7364.247598.0.html

The 1070N sqeaks ahead of the 2070MQ in the average benchmark and average gaming performance, but it's more worth looking at it on a case-by-case basis.

6. Cariblo

Reputations:
    This might be a stupid question, but why do they release different graphic card types? Why not always Pacsal?

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because newer architectures are generally better from a performance, efficiency, and feature set standpoint.

8. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just want to point out a few things:
    RTX cards are definitely worth it if you are planning on playing games with RTX effects like Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk 2077 and few others (BF5, next Watch Dogs, some other games). They will all be significantly faster than 1070 GPUs with these options enabled. And yes, even Metro Exodus will be perfectly playable with RTX and most graphical options enabled even on 2060 GPU.
    As far as the performance difference - do not use Notebookcheck, they compare different laptop models with different drivers and different RAM and other hardware in their "one GPU vs the other" comparisons. Use YouTube reviews instead. For example OWNorDisown made a good video comparing Dell notebooks with same hardware but one with 2060 GPU and the other with 2070 Max-q:

joluke, hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lower core clock speed and lower overall maximum wattage are clear indicators of some performance difference. You just can't get the full RTX version in a lot of the thin-and-light notebooks so you'll be sacrificing size and weight for the performance. With a larger 17.3" laptop I do not mind the thickness, but I would on a smaller overall laptop.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, the Max-q is a GPU specifically made for thin laptops since they can't handle a full power 2070 or 2080 GPU. The Max-q is basically the same GPU just down clocked and with lower power limit. It's not a bad thing since it is still faster than, say, 2060, and 2080 Max-q is just as fast or faster than standard mobile 2070 while consuming less power, it's just all laptop manufacturers charge a lot of money to upgrade from something like 2060 to 2070 Max-q so it may not worth it for some people.

hmscott likes this.