RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really curious since I'm planning on getting the 3090 but I don't want to have scenario if when the 3080TI comes out, Nvidia would advertise it as better than the 1500$ card in gaming. Correct me if I'm wrong that's what happened when 1080ti arrived, it was beating the Titan in-terms of performance on majority of the games tested.

hfm likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don’t think they will kill 3090 as the big boy. Only if AMD is able to compete above 3080. And I doubt that will happen.

cj_miranda23, hfm and Prototime like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I highly doubt that as well. Especially in RT. They are still a generation behind there. RT+DLSS is truly a stake in the heart right now. They might catch up at some point. But TBH they really only need to compete at the 3050 to 3070 or MAYBE 3080 level as that's where the bulk of the sales volume is.

Papusan and Prototime like this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah. But Nvidia need to either provide better performance or reduce the price point. And we know Nvidia rather prefer put in the Ti tag than have to reduce the prices on current cards:D

AMD Big Navi Radeon 6000 With 16GB Allegedly Priced To Aggressively Undercut RTX 3080 hothardware.com

War is usually hell, except when we are talking about the GPU wars, of which a new skirmish is about to get underway. Hot on the heels of NVIDIA formally introducing its GeForce RTX 30 series based on Ampere, it is rumored AMD will look to undercut its rivals pricing with the release of its Radeon RX 6000 series, with...

hfm likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We shall see. Speculation is fun, but I prefer to just let shipping products speak and tend to discount rumor and prediction. Really the only sane play by AMD is to try to undercut them for similar performance. nVidia has the mind share and frankly they have more stable products from a software standpoint and more mature features overall. Everything has bugs, building software and hardware is immensely complex, but Nvidia wins there right now. I hope to see AMD take it to them though, we need the competition.

Papusan likes this.
  6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Spot on bro Paps. I bet my left nut Nvidia will release a 3080ti. I'd go so far to even bet they'll even eventually release it even if AMD don't have anything competitive anyway. They can't help themselves.Milked to perfection :rolleyes:

hfm and Papusan like this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They are a company trying to make money, makes sense. They've obviously left a hole in the product offering there for a 2080Ti/Super. They'd be idiots not to. They'll give it a little time until they can create another splash, and as well get the yields in the proper place for it to make sense to generate revenue from it. Hey, all that has to happen to get nVidia to drop their prices is either the products don't sell or someone competes with them aggressively enough to force their hand.

I'm going to take a guess that neither one of those things is happening soon. People will buy them and AMD will still be behind far enough that it doesn't happen.

TBoneSan and Papusan like this.
  8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It will most likely happen IMO. There is not a big difference between 3080 and 3090 in terms of performance. A 3080ti with bigger memory pool and slightly improved specs will surely be within the 3090 performance at a lower price.

But it won't really "beat it" just be close to it. Similar to 2070 super to the 2080.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sounds about right. There aren't really any gamers that need a 3090, but at EDIT: $1500 "need" has nothing to do with it unless you require the 24GB for creative or professional work. The 2080Ti was definitely a "gamer" card, but it seemed more about recouping R&D costs for all the work that went into getting to 1st Gen RT/DLSS since there's enough people that would pay handsomely for that level of performance either out of wanting the best or just for benchmark bragging rights.. whatever the motivation. And like the 2080Ti, it seems like no one is going to compete with them at that flagship level. I'm sure there's enough people that will get a 3090 for that reason as well, but I'm bargaining not as many since the 3080 looks so good. The 2080 wasn't nearly as attractive.

10. Papusan

Reputations: