RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Moonlight is by far the better choice. I use HEVC(HDR Streaming works very well), unlimited stream bandwidth and 120hz and with a lan connection to the router and wifi connection to the tablet. When standing still i do notice the chroma subsampling and poorer gradation but HDR alone is already far better than my laptop's display. Input lag is also a very zippy 30ms

2. seanwee

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    This one means the laptop gamer jockey will be further screwed by Nvidia + the laptop OEMs and the performance/power gap between laptop graphics and desktops will further increase for next gen graphics cards. The vanilla 3080 desktop cards TDP start from 320W and the mobile variant of 3080 is capped castrated at 85W with a sailing up to 165w as maximum power with the dreaded Dynamic Boost 2.0 feature. Welcome to the future. Yep, it looks grim for gaming laptops.
    [​IMG]

PCIe 5.0 High-Power Connector For Next-Gen Graphics Cards To Deliver Up To 600W To GPUs
    I haven't taken wrong regarding the future for laptops before, soo...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  4. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After having G-Sync for 3 years now I got so spoiled and can't tolerate tearing or vsync microstuttering. I remember before having G-Sync I was happy with Adaptive Vsync now in my desktop setup I use Vsync only. If my system can't do solid 144fps I change the refresh rate of the monitor at 120 Hz, if my system can't do solid 120 fps I lower again to 100 Hz and so on. With moonlight I got massive vsync microstuttering, while the host machine was running the game at solid 120 fps I was getting lots of microstuttering, on a fully wired gigabit network. You never experienced something like that?

I hope this gets widely adopted on new video cards. Having 3 8-pin connectors is so awkward and it can only do 450W. Only one cable at 600W looks like a winner. But the FE graphics already have a similar connector but it didn't was widely adopted for some reason.

Papusan likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't play MMOs, but no way in hell would I even install this on my Ampere card system until there's some definitive fix.

Papusan likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    interesting

as for mobile 2x aint bad...i knew this going forwards

do i trust him....no.....but it might be true these leakers are rarely wrong

7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Have heard something like this before. Nvidia blog touted that their 3080 (Yep, Nvidia branded it their flagship) to be up to two times as fast as the RTX 2080. This is what you see was the end result for the desktop cards. And Mobile graphics cards will get lower and lower graphics TDP (or maybe Dynamic Boost 3.0 with more awful power sharing tech between Cpu and Gpu - 100w+65w) vs the desktop versions because we want thinner and thinner laptops jokebooks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah i was being sarcastic./never ceases to amaze me all the rumors

Spartan@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  9. seanwee

Reputations:
    Nope, I suspect it may have something to do with the device on the recieving end in your case.

10. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The laptop on my signature. Which is a W10 based machine. It should work fine but it is what it is I guess