RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To my knowledge, there is a group of VRMs for the core. The core usually runs around 1 volt. There is another group of VRMs for memory that runs a little over 1V, and another group of VRMs for the MSVDD that also runs around 1V. So knowing that Power = Voltage x Current .... each VRM will be around 1 V x 30 A = 30 W. So with 5 VRMs all of them add up around 150W which is about the TGP for the mobile 3080. I think sean said that some BGA laptops runs 50A VRMs, which will definitely allow room for shunt mod. But again you have to check what VRMs are used in the particulat mobile 3080 to be sure if it worth to do the shunt mod

JRE84 likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    oh ok now ic....good point..you seem knowledgeable on shunt also.

intelligent and well informed

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Not if you solder well enough. I successfully rma'd my GS75 a month back no questions asked. That is why soldering is still my most reccomended way of shunt modding, either by carefully bridging the existing shunts or by replacing the eisting R005 shunts with R004 or R003 shunts depending on how much power you want.

Depends on your card as well. A 3060 may run at 1v with 150w@150A but a 3080 will only run at 0.75v at 150w@200A which will overload the vrms.

Yes, but actually no. The current rating for vrm mosfets represents the peak current output, not the sustained output. And even for the highest end 80A smart power stages, heat is a big issue past 50A on desktop cards with active vrm cooling let alone on passively cooled laptop vrms.

Here is an example power lost as heat vs current output graph from the NCP303150 datasheet
    upload_2021-10-9_12-57-5.png

At 50A you're looking at more than 11w of heat output from each mosfet which is crazy amount for something so small.

I'm sure some of you have heard of the Alienware A51m horror stories about vrms burning up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And that is with the mosfets just drawing about 32-33A per stage

As a rule of thumb, don't exceed 4w of heat output per power stage in laptops with active vrm cooling and 3w of heat output per power stage in laptops with passive vrm cooling.

Heavier games can and will consume more power at a given voltage. So a heavy game may push your vrms over the limit and trip over current protection even when you think its safe, and in the worst case scenario, have a power spike and burn out the vrms outright. Always have a 10-15% safety margin at the very minimum.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    None of the options are good ones when you stop and think about it...
    - Pay too much for something that has been castrated "because its a laptop"
    - Put up with it's limitations "because it's a laptop" so you can have a warranty
    - Reduce some of its limitations and void the warranty on the castrated product
    - Resign yourself to the fact that it will be somewhat less impotent, but still not quite the product that the label it carries suggests that it should be

Maybe the the primary value in having it comes from impressing your friends on Facebook.

Papusan, JRE84 and Clamibot like this.
  5. seanwee

Reputations:
    Alternatively, put some elbow grease into it and make a good product the best product for yourself :D. I for one need the portability a laptop offers and if i don't think a laptop's performance can live up to my expectations even after modding, I'll just wait for a future release.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I know, right? I've been waiting since 2015. I haven't spotted a suitable one yet. Thankfully, portability is no longer a need for me. It used to be. If it were, I would be very disappointed with the options available. Or, perhaps it would be more accurate to say the lack thereof.

7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Here's bro @seanwee a few decades forwards from from now on:vbbiggrin:
    [​IMG]

8. seanwee

Reputations:
    Hopefully not lol. If the 4080 laptops do not at least double the current gpu performance of my machine, even after a shunt mod, i may just switch to game streaming from a SFF 4080 desktop. I've been streaming games to my ipad to make use its glorious mini-led display and it has been very usable.

You can set it to immediately start streaming to your laptop/ultrabook/tablet and you basically have a wireless E-desktop.

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    bro paps.....have you tried geforce now? if you dont mind 1080p/120 its really good nowadays

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I’m not a gamer. No time for that:) Many years ago since I stopped with games. I rather enjoy benching https://hwbot.org/user/papusan/

Spartan@HIDevolution and JRE84 like this.