RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think he was saying you get magic power with a MUX switch; rather, that you can have power when you need it by switching to dgpu and then switch back to the onboard garbage when you don't need the power and get extended battery life in that mode.

Spartan@HIDevolution and seanwee like this.
  2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes, the problem with it is that most laptops don't have mux switches. Just for normal non gaming or not heavy graphical use most igpus are fine and save a lot of power if battery time is of importance. Kind of hard to get that information about mux though, eluktronics tongfangs tout it on their website, so I would guess most tongfang chassis have it. Mainstream major brand probably don't though.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah but this thread is about laptops with 3080s; not the plodding tedium. Presumably maximizing gaming performance is high on the buying criteria for most 3080 buyers? Getting extra battery life if the need comes up is a nice bonus if you can get it even if you don't need it. I fall into that category; I've yet to use the laptop unplugged and have no plans to do so but it's nice to know I can. I've got a lot of disposable income though and have multiple laptops for different needs. Most won't have that luxury but if they come here and peruse these threads they'll know to check for the MUX when buying it they want it. Along with how much power will be available, whether it can game without throttling... You know; all the stuff you shouldn't have to know but need to if you want to buy without getting burned in the current laptop market.

seanwee likes this.
  4. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the battery life while playing is the same with or without mux switch. Gaming laptops and batteries are natural enemies. To be honest it has never crossed my mind to play games while on battery.

5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    What a failure... Both Nvidia, Amd and the OEMs enjoy screw their customers. This apply also for the flagship as 3080 mobile.

Simple optimization guide (AMD Ryzen)

A Disable CPU Turbo
    When Turbo-mode is disabled all CPU cores run @ 3.2GHZ which will reduce power consumption & drop the temperatures up to 10C (in performance mode).
    On the plus side of things the power savings on the CPU will be utilized (more) by the Nvidia GPU.
    The RTX3070 mobile chip for example will almost constantly draw 140W while gaming.
    When the CPU turbo is enabled the wattage on the GPU will occasionally drop to the stock 125W and will only boost to 140W under certain conditions.
    So the CPU performance loss will vary per application, in GPU heavy loads for example there will be almost no (noticeable) performance loss because your GPU can draw more wattage.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-2021-discussion.836058/page-76#post-11119625

Spartan@HIDevolution and seanwee like this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Mobile Ryzen is a failure to me, when disabling turbo is the most common recommendation to improve the experience.

7. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, absolutely not. You're exactly right about battery life, so much power only goes so far. The MUX switch allows you to maximize performance, but also run in hybrid mode and sip when you're not needing that performance. Run on the DGPU and your gaming time will be just as sweet as plugged in but very, very short. Realistically, a MUX switch just gives your laptop more capability, extends it's range. Yes you can go full blast but you can also sip battery at need by staying on the embedded graphics adaptor. Do that and the lights stay on longer but gaming performance goes into the toilet. Right not there is no ideal situation but consider my last laptop: I had only the 1080 GTX, there were no embedded graphics. I had the options of full blast or lights out in 15 minutes. The new laptop with the MUX adds the capability of actually getting (somewhat more) time on batt. It's not an option I use and I do question how many people but full size laptops with 3080s with battery life in mind but as I said, it is nice to know it's there if you need it.

There is more to it than just that in regards to mobo layouts and lost performance but that's too much typing, you can search it up quickly if you're of a mind.

8. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a discussion forum there is no tedium sorry doesn't work like that, sheesh some people.... Yes a mux switch is nice because you can switch manually if you have the option, or have your computer switch automatically to low power or high power depending on the usage profile. It does have it's bugs that I've noticed, ie in some situations it does not really switch too well, limiting some games etc when they are not limited with just dgpu, there is overhead with the igpu when you are in hybrid mode too, not much but it's there. What would be nice is if a bios based mux was standard instead of a lot of hybrid or optimus systems to give user ultimate decision. You can bypass igpu if you output to an external screen though. Gaming on a laptop, can't see being too battery time conscious though

9. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The plodding tedium I was referring to are the vast majority of laptops which are largely unremarkable.

I agree with you on the main: A physical MUX with BIOS level integration is the way to go. I have it now and it flat works. Should be standard on every serious gaming laptop until the hardware iterates past the need.

I edited this post to stay on track rather than the digression I had thrown in.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  10. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    This

A mux switch doesn't magically transform your laptop battery into a portable nuclear reactor lol. It just enables you to have unrestricted performance while also having the battery saving capabilities optimus/hybrid mode brings. Battery saving as in the gpu isn't draining power when you don't need it so you can still have 8-10 hours of battery life when doing light tasks and not 2-3 hours.

Gaming on battery has always been a no go. Perfomance drops significantly, you harm battery lifespan due to the high power draw and you get an hour of mediocre performance at best.

For people who actually spend time researching their laptop purchases (ie people who actually care about performance), a mux switch is a must nowadays. A 3080 laptop without one performs like a 3070 lapop with one. And from reading reddit/youtube comments, if a laptop doesn't come with a mux switch it is immediately disregarded, sometimes unfairly so for lower price laptops that can't fit a $50 piece of hardware into the budget.

Well yes but it's not that simple. I've done the calculations and a "Max-p" desktop 3080 chip will be around the 200-220w range, right in the domain of medium sized laptops with proper cooling.

Fyi Laptop gpu tdps and Desktop gpu tdps are calculated differently. Where a desktop gpu also factors in the power draw of the RGB lights, fans, video output and so on into its TDP, a laptop gpu only factors in the power draw of the gpu die and the vram into its TDP. That and Max-p laptop gpus are typically run at 90% desktop performance (assuming core count parity) and draw only 80-85% of the power to do so since its further down the efficiency curve.

A laptop with a desktop 3080 chip is very possible, thats what made me so frustrated to hear that they were selling 3070 chips as laptop 3080s when they were announced.