RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I gave up on trying to overclocking the GPU past its original settings more or less because laptop manufacturers install cooling that's BARELY able to handle stock settings, nevermind oc ones.
    My system (in the signature) is an exception as it seems to have a really powerful cooling which keeps the CPU (Ryzen 2700) at 75 degrees C when its maxed out, and GPU (desktop grade Vega 56) at about 65-68 degrees C when its maxed out - so, I have some 'breathing room'... but, overclocking my V56 is not simple as modern drivers aren't exactly kind to OC-ing, so it can just make thing less stable - and to be fair, at stock, my V56 is about 5-10% behind the fully TDP unlocked version - so, while I can undervolt AND overclock at the same time, it takes finesse - but I don't think its worth it as the GPU is still more than capable at playing all modern games at 1080p and high FPS using 'High' settings (at least).

If you can both undervolt AND overclock a GPU (or at least undervolt it), then sure, I'd probably suggest it as a viable option to get more efficiency and performance out of it... but more performance is usually usable only if/when you discover your laptop is struggling.

Undervolting should probably be the defacto option in laptops if the manufacturer hadn't done their jobs correctly... and in cases of modern CPU's (not GPU's), they seem to be reaching ridiculous temperatures (about 90 to 95 degrees Celsius) when they're being stressed in gaming (not professional software which can stress a CPU to 100% easily).

To me, that is unacceptable because those are borderline temps which will reduce the overall lifespan of other components in the laptop. So, the first thing I'd do in such a situation would be to repaste the CPU and GPU. This would probably help in dropping the temps somewhat... but next step would be undervolting both the CPU and GPU (which can also improve performance as it allows a hw to draw less power and reach/maintain its boost clocks for much longer, and drop overall temps further).

Cooler laptops = longer lasting systems (if they are maintained), improved efficiency and better/consistent performance.

Since most laptops come with 1080p panels, its unlikely most modern GPU's from mid-range and above will be struggling to run modern games at pretty high FPS using that resolution... but overall, OC-ing can only gain you 10-15%... maybe 20% more performance.
    This would be good if you're borderline between unplayable and playable FPS in games... but otherwise, its too much of a hassle and results in potentially larger thermals for small improvement that you probably won't even notice.

I try not to change my system too often (maybe after 3 or 4 years - possibly 5 if I can get away with it).
    Last one I used for 9 years out of necessity (due to having no money to buy a new laptop).

The one I'm presently using (in signature - and since 2019) should do me just fine for at least a while longer... but because I'm also a student in 3D animation, I MAY need to change it (sadly) for a system that has an RTX GPU for the purpose of using the GPU for hw acceleration (since most professional software apparently aschewed AMD gpu's from gpu acceleration and overall support - not because AMD gpu's aren't capable, but because software devs can't be bothered to write needed code to take advantage of AMD gpu's).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    hertzian56, JRE84 and Papusan like this.
  2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's disappointing because technology is supposed to progress, not regress.

For the first time ever with Pascal, we finally had laptops that performed exactly the same as their desktop counterparts after about 3 decades of crappy laptops. Things should've stayed that way. That's what we call progress.

In the past few years, we've seen that progress regress back to the dark days where laptops performed significantly worse than their desktop counterparts. This is stupid, and there is no genuine reason why laptops can't perform the same as their desktop counterparts. We saw it done with Pascal, so there's no reason it couldn't have stayed that way, even with increasing power draws from newer CPUs and GPUs.

With Pascal and Turing Super, I could justify paying a premium to get desktop performance from a laptop. I cannot justify paying a premium to get worse performance from a laptop than a desktop. This is stupid and unacceptable. Again, there is no valid reason a laptop can't perform just as well as its desktop counterpart. It's perfectly possible, as demonstrated with Pascal 5 years ago.

Thin and light isn't necessarily the only problem behind this regression. It's more of a lack of innovation than anything else. Regardless, laptops have significantly regressed in the past few years rather than progressed in terms of the performance delta between them and their desktop counterparts.

Wasn't the goal since the inception of the laptop to have desktop performance on the go? What happened to that? That was the entire driving factor behind Nvidia's mobile GPU marketing since Maxwell. Remember those "closing the gap" messages from them?

3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Around 100 of the 3080 laptops manage 14000 in Time Spy on 3Dmark leaderboard. And the test isn't the same as in games that run several hours. Don't expect all those laptops on top 100 can run stable on their maxed out oc. The new modern disgusting Dynamic boost 2.0 feature will cripple the Cpu or the Gpu performance if you run other Cpu intensive tasks in the background while gaming. The nice fun with shared pipes (Unifed heatsink paired with already mentioned awful and disgusting feature).

Highest score: 14754
    Average score: 11965
    Pretty sure they learned the hard way that you'll keep your laptop longer if they offered desktop class performance. And they have to offer what the OEM ask for.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    hertzian56, JRE84 and Clamibot like this.
  4. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm just going to say it, and I will argue this until I die, but Pascal was the best GPU generation Nvidia has ever created. Desktop cards are still holding up, price at the time wasn't too bad and inflated, Mobile Pascal was basically the desktop cards, and 1080's/1080ti's are still holding up very well today.

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

this!!

yes pascal was awesome and still is...a 1080 can still max games with high fps

we need to support the sucesses and shun the failures....remember a tennis player is only as good as his second serve...

also with pascal do you guys think its possible they retarded the 1080 dt and gimped them just to close the gap

Clamibot and hertzian56 like this.
  6. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah just go desktop if you want top performance, in terms of laptop top performance it's just a tradeoff unless you can find a manuf that will do as much as possible to really put a desktop into a case like eurocom. They're at the mercy of intel/nvidia etc though. At that point though afa price it's more than a full desktop system(under normal supply/pricing situations of course), wouldn't make any sense unless you have a real need to lug something that powerful around.

Pascal mobile really cool and anything 3060m and under I'd just get those used like 1070/1080 other than if you get new condition whole system at the same price or only marginally higher, 1660ti/2060/3060. 1070/1080 laptops used still comparable price for whole system to 3060/2060 new laptops, nah I got new system.

JRE84 and Clamibot like this.
  7. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My last laptop had a desktop 1080 GTX in it and Cyberpunk kicked sand in it's face and walked away with the girl. I liked that lappy and it held up well, kept it 2 years which is longer than any other up to now.

Buy the right laptop and you'll get all 165 watts all the time and despite the waa on this forum the results are spectacular. The 3080 is significantly more potent than the 1080 in a laptop when comparing the best of their type; you gents can dislike it as much as you want and it will be no less true.

There isn't much of anything about the graphics market I like, what they're doing in design, the misleading marketing, the lack of real competition, I could go on and on. The world keeps spinning though and you make your choices. I'm enjoying the crap out of my 3080 and I'm not apologizing for it.

One other thing of note: Some of you make it sound like top notch 1080 laptop performance was cheap, it was not. Mine was something like 3500 dollars and that was about par if you wanted the best of breed; a desktop 1080 with all the trimmings. If you were feeling it you could have spent more.

electrosoft and JRE84 like this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah I went with the 1060....meh it aged at the same time as the 1080

9. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Problem is that it could have been MUCH MUCH faster if a desktop 3080 chip was used.

Performance isn't "bad" strictly speaking. It just could and should have been better. If I'm paying xx80 class price, I better be getting xx80 class performance.

10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Current estimations are that the drop to the 5nm process may produce a "Pascal-like" generational leap, for both AMD and Nvidia.

That's really why I bought this cheap-ish ($899) RTX 3050 Ti laptop to get me by until the RTX 40 series. There was no point in dropping serious money on an RTX 3070/3080 laptop when they weren't even much faster than my 200W RTX 2080. I can live with the 4GB VRAM by reducing settings, it's a low-end card after all.

JRE84 and Clamibot like this.