RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...ional-Graphics-Card-for-Laptops.434515.0.html

They could if they wanted. And none use standard MXM.

3. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I agree on the main but I don't know too many people that are buying 2k laptops annually and thin laptops aren't popular without reason. To put some perspective on it the average laptop sale price in 2019 was just 630 dollars and that number has been relatively constant in recent years. There are probably a lot of reasons for that outside of affordability; need comes to mind in the context of this conversation: A lot of people aren't gamers and many who are PC gamers have a desktop pressed into that duty while at the same time nowadays the only reason the vast majority of people would need that big heavy laptop is for gaming since almost any modern laptop can make quick work of most other tasks. Then you've got road warriors; these people need something that is actually portable. It's one thing to schlep a 11 lb DTR out to the car, into the office, back to the car, and home again. Another entirely to carry it through multiple airports while taking 5k, 10, or even more steps going from point A to B. I can tell you I personally did exactly that with my Clevo's for years. It wasn't fun but I travel all over the world and stay for a month or more; both for work and play. Consider the weights: Those DTRs ran about 10 lbs and with cord and supply I usually hit at about 12 to 15 lbs for the absolute must have equipment to light that thing off. It's not easy to find a bag that wont fall apart when used for more than getting the laptop to the car that weighs less than 3 lbs by itself. Throw in some paperwork and random shrapnel like your mouse and it's easy to hit at 25 lbs even when being conscious of weight. Nowadays I run an Aorus that weighs just 7 and change for the brick, cord, and lappy itself and the works will hit at about 12 to 15. Ten lbs doesn't seem like much on the trip to the car but it does when your step count starts getting up there and I have to say I'm not missing that 10 lbs. Of course I'm in a very small group of people that would carry a Clevo around the world, most road warrior types are going to stick to light; and yes, thin. To go back to the masses who are spending that 630 on average they by cost alone did not buy the laptop for gaming and as they did not why would they want a fat laptop?

What I'm trying to point out here by my own example is that I'm in a small minority; on this thread that puts me in good company because no one who comes to this forum and clicks on this thread is going to be even close to an average laptop consumer. Most people would not buy a 10 lb gaming clevo, ever, even if it was 630 dollars instead of 3500. I want that power as much as anyone here but considered objectively I don't have any trouble understanding why thin is here to stay.

JRE84 and electrosoft like this.
  4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    For #1, they COULD if they found a viable mass consumer market and a reason to which leads to #2, there is no widespread reason to do that. I agree with you and have argued companies will make and sell what...well...sells. When the market years ago reached a point of numerous DTRs being available AND thin and lights were moving in the numbers quickly skewed to the thin and lights. Your average laptop user has zero desire to schlep around a 12lb+ w/ PSU monstrosity when they can get 60-70% of the performance now in a package half the size.I look at the 14" Zephyrs with 4900h CPUs and 2060 power and they match or beat what used to be 10lb+ DTR laptops just 5yrs ago.

Even amongst clevos, I am amazed at how light this batch of P750DM's I upgraded and repaired for a customer are compared to my P870TM1 and I'm a big dude that works out, lifts heavy and backpacks. The P750DMs felt incredibly light. Then I'll pick up the family's group 17" HP with its tiny power adapter and it feels like nothing. A 15" Clevo barely fits in the 17" laptop bag for the HP. "Moar powah!" is in direct conflict with "thinner and lighter" and the compromise are relatively powerful THINNER and LIGHTER gaming laptops that while they may not pack the cooling and punch of full on DTRs, they more than get the job done and are much easier to move around let alone carry around. I LOVE my P870TM1 and on big trips/outings it is my road dog (like the P870DM-G was before it and the Alienware 18 was before it), but there is NO WAY I'm carrying that site to site, place to place if I can use a 3-5lb laptop with killer battery life so I don't even have to worry about a power outlet. I understand why the market is what it is.

Basically, this in spades. I'm fully aware of the forums and hardware enthusiasts I co-mingle with and seek. I am also fully aware I am in a very small minority in regards to true market forces and what most consumers want. The bean counters are paid the big bucks to figure out what to sell that the average consumers will buy.

5. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm already at 26.3k in a thin and light, and this one is most likely a maxp version so thats not impressive at all. Very disappointing actually

Heck overclocked GE75s with 2080s are hitting the 31k graphics mark

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah i had no idea you could hit 26000 with a gs75. wow .

but yeah this is depressing me as its my turn to upgrade

7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just go for a 3070 laptop. Edit: Assuming nvidia doesn't cuck that one too.

The point of contention here is the fact that the mobile "3080" isn't and shouldn't be considered a 3080.

Papusan likes this.
  8. francisco santos

francisco santos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like the tecnology is evolving soo fast on the gpu market that i think its better to pay for a medium one because 1 year later the top market card is crushed by the less expensive

for example rtx 2060 ti vs rtx 3060 ti prices vs performance

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i am gaming at 1080p maybe 4kon a tv once in a while, do you think the 3070 will be enough?

10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends on what settings and what fps you're targeting. I'm doing fine with my GS75 with 1800p + reshade CAS.

I'd look to desktop 3060ti performance for reference.

No idea about future titles though.

JRE84 likes this.