RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    I was just pulling your leg, man. The sentence that you wrote, which I quoted, instantly made me think of that line from Anchorman. :D

Fire Tiger, JRE84 and alaskajoel like this.
  2. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well he is entertaining for sure.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    JRE84 likes this.
  3. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    The upside as always is 2080 prices will drop even further retail (as they clear out stock) and used market as a glut of 2080ti's will make their way to eBay and other outlets.

Or I might go "new" again and get a 3000 series (or wait for Big Navi and see what they have to offer).

I'm running a 5700xt + an old HP ZR30 QHD.

My next logical step is a >30" 4k display and a card powerful enough to drive games @ 4k.

JRE84 and jc_denton like this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah I know dude....I'm rarely serious I was raised in a sarcastic joking home/upbringing

jc_denton likes this.
  5. Karstedt

Karstedt Newbie

Reputations:
    But when you cut the power to laptop levels will it really be a significant improvement?

BrightSmith and JRE84 like this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    well 1060 laptop vs desktop wasn't too big of a jump hopefully they cut the difference again and laptop vs desktop becomes negligible.

ok so i looked up a valley benchmark of the 1060 and it scored 62.1fps my laptop which has really good cooling gets 65fps so yeah the laptop/desktop are basically equal and theirs a chance the 3080 versions will be tied the same way.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Everyone knows this will be a 50 percent jump and if your in the market it would be wise to wait for the mobile 3080

8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is what i'm thinking since the 3090 is rumoured to be a 350W part.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We probably won't see the mobile variants until Early 2021. They still need to deal with TDP limits moreso in notebooks than desktop cards, it will be challenging for them to get the kind of RUMORED (remember no one has independently tested even the desktop cards yet) performance gain we are hearing about for desktop since the ALSO RUMORED TDP of the desktop cards is quite a bit higher than the RTX 2000 series.

No one wants to have to sink 25% more power in a laptop and have it go to hair-dryer mode to get massive gains. The 3090 board power is rumored to be 400W, which is much more than the 250W that the 2080Ti is rated. If I recall the 3080 rumored board power was 350W. I don't trust any of it though until we see reviewers like Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus et al. get their hands on them. If it all turns out to be true, that's great, I couldn't buy a rumored unreleased product anyway so it didn't matter.

But lets also remember that we're not seeing these numbers in any type of context, and also IT'S ALL STILL RUMOR and we have no verifiable facts at all. I say we just wait until products are actually shipping before trying to speak definitively about it.

I'm going to be in the market for a new desktop card since I'm not going back to using laptop dGPU and will use eGPU instead. I'm definitely going to wait to see what AMD releases before buying anything. If it means playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my current system, so be it. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Prototime and Aroc like this.
  10. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm thinking Nvidia naming their initial high end card 3090 means a TI version may be released? What you guys think? If the rumor 1400$ price for a 3090 is true, we might see a 2K plus TI 500W version lmao!:D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020