RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Outstanding GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 Samples May Be Hard To Come By Tomshardware.com | Today

Making the GPU silicon lottery harder.

Igor's Lab, who's well-connected within the graphics card industry, just got the scoop on the quality of silicon that we can expect from Nvidia's GeForce RTX 30-series (codename Ampere) graphics cards.

As you would expect, initial yields and silicon quality in early stages of production won't be phenomenal. As production matures, both start to gradually improve. The early figures for Ampere aren't that bad actually. According to Igor, vendors divide the quality of the silicon into three main categories: Bin 0 for average quality, Bin 1 for good quality and Bin 2 for very good quality.

Ideally, you would want to land a chip from Bin 2. Dies from this category reportedly operate at a significantly lower temperature under full load with a higher boost clock speeds at the same voltage. Additionally, there is more overclocking headroom.

The German publication's sources claim that 30%, 60% and 10% of the GeForce RTX 3080's dies belong to the Bin 0, Bin 1 and Bin 2, respectively. The data is reassuring since it suggests that the majority of consumers should get a good sample, unless you're one of the unlucky ones to fall inside the 30%.

This should be the same for the GeForce RTX 3090 as well, except that the percentage of Bin 2 chips are even lower. This is due to the fact that manufacturers are only receiving a small number of GA102 dies from the initial production. Plus, RTX 3090 will necessitate using the higher binned GA102 chips in the first place since it has 82 SMs instead of only 68 SMs.

That last part will likely impact the overall quality of RTX 3080 chips. If most of the Bin 2 chips end up going into RTX 3090, and there's a reasonable chance that most of the Bin 0 chips will end up in RTX 3080, your chance of getting a 'very good' RTX 3080 drop. Beyond that, the AIBs will further bin whatever chips they receive and offer varying models of each GPU, with the best chips being reserved for higher factory overclocks ... and higher prices.

JRE84 likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    does anyone have benchmarks of the 3090?

3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’m not even attempting to order a Ampere GPU on 09-17 or 09-24. I know they’ll be sold out for a few years and price gouged by every retailer under the sun until EOL. It really sucks, but this is how it goes with an Nvidia graphics card..

People are gonna be paying $1,000 plus dollars for RTX3080’s.

After seeing these numbers, I think I’d be better off buying another 2080Ti honestly. Especially for only $500-$600 bucks. Because we all know that a RTX3080 being only a little faster will fetch $1299 on eBay.

Towel thrown in! I’m not buying a ampere GPU.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Seems silly to throw in towels before it's actually been for purchase. You can probably just buy one directly from nvidia sometime in the next few months. They won't be changing that $699 price any time soon I don't think. We all know it's going to be short supply for the first few months. After that it should be ok.

The only thing I'd be a little concerned about is if crypto mining booms back.

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ?i dont know what videos you guys are watching but check this out

6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does it really need to be spelled out?

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes I think getting 165 vs 65 fps is kinda a big deal

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I T S
    F A K E

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol whoops oh really? hows that? seemed pretty legit and like it was of good accuracy. I could be mistaken and probably am is the 3090 not out yet?

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    No live FPS counter lol

Aroc and Papusan like this.