RTX 3080 in an eGPU discussion

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by hfm, Sep 20, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Something smells off about that, Control was running much better for me with RTX on High than he is showing there, and I have a theoretically slower CPU and GPU.. some of his numbers seemed off. I don't really feel like redownloading Control and Doom: Eternal (the only two games I own that he used) to refute those scores.. but something seems off there. Unless I'm just happy with it and not very sensitive to it.

2. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This one here seems pretty close to what I'm trying to do:

Though the 3DMark test is pretty good on the eGPU compared to the mobile 1080, while gaming the eGPU RTX 2080 Ti is just not as good most of the time compared to the GTX 1080. Which is pretty sad. How is that even possible?

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    TB3 is slow compared to PCIe x16

4. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, so we need to see in game performance of the eGPU 3080 and not being so excited by synthetic benchmarks, which in this case not always seems to translate in to better performance

5. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly would look forwards to an eGPU with an 2080 Ti or 2080 due to the lower TDP of 250W.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Those cards aren't a big enough jump for me. I just want to try to lock every game at 60 with full details and RTX. That isn't happening right now.

etern4l likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    just because it says ultra doesnt mean your getting more details.ultra is way way over the top with the fact low medium and some high looks just as good